Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange vibration problem in my 57 Belair with Saginaw 3 speed. Vibration seems to only occur in 3rd gear. Feels like drive shaft vibration but is clutch or transmission related. New clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing, throwout bearing, etc. At 50+ mph you can press the clutch pedal in and out 2-3 times and the vibration will stop until you have to press the clutch again. If I swap the transmission out using a loaner, the vibration improves dramatically. If I put the transmission in a different vehicle that vehicle inherits the vibration. Looking for ideas on how to solve this.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
When you say "Saginaw 3 speed", is this a stock transmission or a 60s transmission?

Not that it really matters, if as you say the problem follows the transmission as you describe. There is probably a problem with the input shaft bearing, or the roller bearing between the input shaft and the output shaft. Since it seems to be clutch related, it's probably the input shaft bearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is a 1956 model transmission. I was thinking it might be the roller bearings on the input shaft also but I know very little about transmission repair. One thing I forgot to mention is that when its cold it doesn't seem to vibrate as bad as it does once it gets to normal operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
Sounds like bearings. What you describe is exactly how my stock three speed behaved many years ago. Rebuilt the trans, it's not hard, and all was well so I am going with bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts