Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 57 primarily for the good body although it had a good drive train. I sold the engine and want to sell the transmission. Its a freshly reconditioned Saginaw and thats all I know. Do the numbers on the case mean much? The tail housing numbers (352254) don't match the main case numbers (3925656). Do these numbers mean anything? After I get some other issues settled out I'll probably put it in the sell stuff section but I do want to tell folks as much as I can. Pointers in the right direct would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought my 57 primarily for the good body although it had a good drive train. I sold the engine and want to sell the transmission. Its a freshly reconditioned Saginaw and thats all I know. Do the numbers on the case mean much? The tail housing numbers (352254) don't match the main case numbers (3925656). Do these numbers mean anything? After I get some other issues settled out I'll probably put it in the sell stuff section but I do want to tell folks as much as I can. Pointers in the right direct would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
the case numbers just mean more than likely a 68-73 4 speed. are there any other markings besides case and tail shaft??

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Steve
68-73 yr model according to case numbers- can't find much on the tail housing numbers though. Does the input shaft have rings in it ?? If so this indicates gear ratios--
No grooves 2.84, 2.01, 1.35, 1.00
1 groove 2.54, 1.80, 1.44, 1.00
2 groove 3.11, 2.20, 1.47, 1.00
3 groove 3.50, 2.47, 1.65, 1.00

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the case numbers just mean more than likely a 68-73 4 speed. are there any other markings besides case and tail shaft??
There are some weird things in different places so when I get the chance I'll take a picture and post which numbers are where. I'll also check the ring things out, that's a good thing to know about. There are some raised bosses with numbers stamped on them but they can't be read. They are to faint to tell much. Whoever stamped it must have used a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
rubber mallet, that's funny....'bout like my differential, almost never got it where I could read the code. They used those in a lot of Chevy Monzas and behind some L6s so it would be good find some numbers specific to source. the ones used in Monzas and L6s were not a tough transmission from what I could find out. There should be numbers on the top shift plate also

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went out to check and there are no rings on the input shaft. I'll check the shift plate and get some pictures tomorrow. Some of the markings looked were strange looking, looked more like Runes from Lord of the Rings than letters. I wonder if anything can be accurate since the trans was reconditioned? Would it stay original or would they just stick whatever shifter plate they had hand for the rebuild. ?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just went out to check and there are no rings on the input shaft. I'll check the shift plate and get some pictures tomorrow. Some of the markings looked were strange looking, looked more like Runes from Lord of the Rings than letters. I wonder if anything can be accurate since the trans was reconditioned? Would it stay original or would they just stick whatever shifter plate they had hand for the rebuild. ?
tailshafts can be interchanged so I suppose same with shifter plates. different shifters for model car it goes in etc. No rings indicates the low end probably behind an L6 engine or a 307 V8, both low HP motors. The 307 was only rated at 185 HP and one model that was rated at 200HP

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
rubber mallet, that's funny....'bout like my differential, almost never got it where I could read the code. They used those in a lot of Chevy Monzas and behind some L6s so it would be good find some numbers specific to source. the ones used in Monzas and L6s were not a tough transmission from what I could find out. There should be numbers on the top shift plate also
L6 in a Monza now that I got to see. I had an Olds Starfire with a 231 Buick V-6.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The previous owner bought this from a company that rebuilds/sells manual transmissions The PO has no idea what it's from but figured it would be better than the 3 speed that was in it. It makes good ad copy 350 4bolt main, 4 speed transmission. The 4 bolt happened to be a truck engine but, meh, details. I gotta give it credit for being a smooth shifting trans, the hurst just slides up and down gears as nice as you would want. I put maybe a 100 miles on it at most, so I know very little about it beyond that.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The previous owner bought this from a company that rebuilds/sells manual transmissions The PO has no idea what it's from but figured it would be better than the 3 speed that was in it. It makes good ad copy 350 4bolt main, 4 speed transmission. The 4 bolt happened to be a truck engine but, meh, details. I gotta give it credit for being a smooth shifting trans, the hurst just slides up and down gears as nice as you would want. I put maybe a 100 miles on it at most, so I know very little about it beyond that.
I have put 1000`s and 1000`s of miles on saginaw 4speeds.....dont care what anyone says... they are a good tranny,and will last and last....just DO NOT abuse them like a Muncie,or T-10....get a shifter from say: a 1980`s MonteCarlo and you dont have to worry about clearing the bench seat in a 55-57 either....its centered right in the hump

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I remember my brother having a 1969 or 70 short stepside 2wd chevy...was the "cheapie" version of that style truck.....one of my friends had a 73 nova with a 250 6cyl and it also had a saginaw 4 speed??
I am going to look this up but I would be willing to bet the factory never offered a Saginaw in either one of those applications other than a 3 speed. It is a very easy swap from saggie 3 to saggie 4, all that is required is a shifter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts