Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two steering boxes and I'm going to rebuild one for my '55.
I'll be posting up pics as I go.

Steering shaft threads are 1/2-20 fine. Takes a 3/4" socket.

Sector shaft threads are 7/8-14 fine, takes a 33mm socket.

The three bolts on top are 9/16" and the adjustment screw jam nut takes a 5/8" socket.

The big nut on the front takes a 32 mm socket.

The box I'm rebuilding is from a 57' (P/N 5671172) which has a different part number than my '55 (P/N: 5666687). If anyone knows the difference let me know.

I'm also rebuilding the Column.
Shift lever part #'s
3732059 (1st & Rev)
3732960 (2nd & 3rd)

I had to cut the pitman arm off of both boxes. They were on to stay otherwise. A new pitman arm is only $40.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,299 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I want to try a steering box rebuild myself this coming year so I will watch your progress carefully.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Housing painted. Tommorow I'll make a bushing driver on the lathe and drive in new bushings.
FyI: the factory did not paint the steering box. It should be cast iron gray for an original car. If you are going any other way the black will be fine.

Mikey

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, you are correct.
But I'd rather it not rust, and it's easier to wipe grease off of a painted surface. My 55 is a driver so I'm cool with it being inaccurate.
👍🏻

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Have lots of fun getting all of those balls inside again. No need to ask me how I know.....

Use a synthetic wheel bearing grease and pack the cavities as much as you can before you put the 2 shafts back in.

Just one of many I have done through the years.

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
So.... what happened to the rebuild? I'm doing mine at the moment (June 30, 2020) and am interested in the conclusion here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts