Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is best to use on areas like the firewall, dash, floor pans,and inner quarter panels. I know sand blasting is not recommended for the body panels. Also has anyone bought one of the blasters? If so, which one would you recommend that I get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Randy Humphrey

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Did you do a search on Trifive? Try "sandblasting", "blasting media" There are many previous threads that address this topic thoroughly.
Jim

·
Registered
38,701 Posts
Are you aware that soda blasting won't remove surface rust where sandblasting will?

Are you aware that soda blasting has potential issues with removal and and neutralization?

Sandblasting has it's issues too, like accumulation in all the nooks and crannies, as well as warpage on flat panels.

Sandblasting is more aggressive, so it will work faster on the nasty stuff.

In the end, I think sandblasting capability is what you'll get more benefit from. You can sandblast the floor, frame, firewall, dash, inner fenders, and small parts. For the big exterior panels, you have the option of paint stripper and sanding.

Either one is going to require a good air compressor. And a good air compressor is going to serve other needs and power other tools as well.

6,794 Posts
Great advise Rick. That's what I did (sandblasting). Have not seen any loose sand in the last ummm 26 years. :tu Lloyd

·
Registered
932 Posts
i bought a 200.00 blast pot from northern tool and several bags of glass media. it does a good job + dont get as hot as sand= less warpage. i believe the same company makes most of the blast pots . so just get a pressureized one and dont waste your time with the vacume type

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rusty,
Thanks for the info about the glass beads. I looked in my Northern Catalog last night and found a 100 lb pressure blaster with 80 to 110 Psi operation pressure. It has 1/2 in plumbing and hose and includes blast hood. Free Shipping. The price was $309.99. The medium glass beads comes in a 27 lb container. How many should I order to start with? I am in the process of replacing complete floor pan and trunk pan. I plan on blasting everything inside of the car first and then the firewall.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Ive used 80 grit on every panel with zero distortion. My sandblaster gun has an 1/8th inch hole so you wont get alot of material blasted at once. I blast at 90 psi. If you were using a gun that had a 1 inch hole blasting at 90 psi you may warp panels, dont know though.

6,794 Posts
Rusty,
Thanks for the info about the glass beads. I looked in my Northern Catalog last night and found a 100 lb pressure blaster with 80 to 110 Psi operation pressure. It has 1/2 in plumbing and hose and includes blast hood. Free Shipping. The price was $309.99. The medium glass beads comes in a 27 lb container. How many should I order to start with? I am in the process of replacing complete floor pan and trunk pan. I plan on blasting everything inside of the car first and then the firewall.
Since you have already made up your mind about the bead blasting, please post the results. Thanks Lloyd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.