Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a project and the one that I ended up with is not tri-5 friendly..In age or brand.It has no motor or transmission but it is kinda rare (61 first year) and I think that I can flip it for twice what I paid for it.Or put my SBC & 4speed in it,sell it & get a nice tri-5.

Anyone here ever put a SBC in a F***? Whats involved ?Whats the level of difficulty?How expensive to have it done?

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
OldF , When there is a will there is a way. In my early crazy days I transplanted many an engine into a different brand car. Had a F***302 in a '64 XKE, 327 in a '61 Austin Healy 3000, and 283 in a MBZ 220 S. The '61 F*** Compact Van Pickup came with a 144c.i.d.six cyl. between the two front seats. I don't think a transplanted Chevy V8 will leave much room. If you have V8 on the brain the 289-302 F*** is dimensionally much smaller and better suited. Now, a Chevy V8 mounted behind the cab with short drive shaft could gets my juices flowing but would require a lot of fabrication.:character0011:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
If your going a V8 conversion, your going to have to fabricate mounts. The room for a radiator is limited too. I put an engine in the van version of one of these years ago, through the cargo doors. But this one might have to be put in from the bottom. It's not impossible, just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
find a 90 something mustang, a fuel injected 302 and AOD would not be that hard to install. and mustangs are about a dime a dozen.........

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Old F, those Econoline pickups are rare, any year. If it were me and I had to have a V-8 I'd drop in a 302SBF. FYI an orginal '62 Econoline pickup, non-matching 6 cyl. engine went for nearly $45K at a Silver State auction about 8-9 mos. ago.
Also doing a swap from a Ford 6 to a 350 Chevy would involve a lot of work and fabrication, going all Ford wouldn't be as bad.

I'm not saying it shouldn't/couldn't be done...:)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Great project:D:tu As much as I hate to say it, I think it should be all F**d, even though a chevy engine would make a it a good F**d:rolleyes:

Good luck with it, you should be able to make some money on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts