Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 1956 four door wagon that was originally a 6cyl. car and was wondering what all I had to do to put my 383 stroker and TH350 into my car. Motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc.... Thanks alot in advance. RON

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, I'll tell you my current setup and then tell you what I'd like to change about it.
Currently, I have a small block using the front motor mounts, the bellhousing mounts and I made a crossmember for the tranny (after one busted muncie case).

Now, since you're running a TH350, you won't be able to use the bellhousing mounts (and I'd prefer not to use them honestly), so my plan is to go with a side motor mount conversion and still use the crossmember under the tranny.

--Jeff

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's always good to see another Longroof: Learn to say: "Thanks for the compliment, but it's not a Nomad, it's a....."

Front mounts can be reused, just move to the V-8 position. Saddle mounts on frame can be used, CCI sells a "Turbo Mount" kit that works for this. Lastly, you can, and should use a rear trans crossmember...again CCI or any of the other Tri-Five vendors can supply, or you can fabricate yourself.

No change to length of driveshaft, just a yoke change.

Use the 6 cylinder radiator position and you'll have plenty of room to install dual electric fans, or any of a variety of suitable mechanical fans with a shroud.

Upgrade your fuel lines from 5/16 to 3/8 minimum (including the pick up line in the tank.

Header choices are plentiful. I run the Hooker Super Comps, but needed to perform a little metal magic on #'s 3 & 5 to gain clearance to the 605 box.

Distributor clearance should be OK, sometimes with an HEI in the engine it can get a bit tight. Easiest solution is the faithful BFH to the firewall...or you can loosen all the body mount bolts, break the body loose from the frame, and shove it back as far on the mounts as possible. I know that works. We used to do it when we were racing these things, and I did it to my '56 when it was a freshly-painted shell. Check the assembly manual for the correct dimensions and try to stay to their maximum tolerance towards the rear. You can go too far and lose some of your front clip alignments.

All else in this switch is simple and straightforward. Good Luck, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts