Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sbc 400 it doesn't happen all the time but when i turn it off it has a run on for 2 seconds. compression on the motor is 10:1 and i run 92oct

·
Registered
449 Posts
If it is actually "dieseling", there are several things you can do.

Dieseling or run on is caused by hot spots in the piston crown and or combustion chamber. Di3eseling is not caused by a continuing spark but the mixture being ignited by hot spots in the combustion chamber area.

If you are running a projected tip spark plug you can change to a shorter tip plug and maybe a heat range colder.

You have to be getting some fuel on shut off being drawed into to the cylinders check your carb it must be rich idle or main jet pull over on shut down.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Shut it off in gear problem solved.:sign0020:

·
Registered
449 Posts
If it is actually "dieseling", there are several things you can do.

Dieseling or run on is caused by hot spots in the piston crown and or combustion chamber. Di3eseling is not caused by a continuing spark but the mixture being ignited by hot spots in the combustion chamber area.

If you are running a projected tip spark plug you can change to a shorter tip plug and maybe a heat range colder.

You have to be getting some fuel on shut off being drawed into to the cylinders check your carb it must be rich idle or main jet pull over on shut down.
Or your primary throttle blade is to far open at idle lower your idle some, your cam and cylinder pressure it makes may not like the gas your using also.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Do you have an electric fan? If so, it can cause run-on by a back circuit emf to the ignition wiring as the fan motor coasts to a stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts