Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to go to work this morning. (at 3:15am)

Got outside, open car door to throw my stuff in and ................. GEE, my freaking door is open to my barn. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

I turned on every single light I could get my hands on then called 911.

You know, the 911 operator wasn't too concerned someone may have just broken in to my property. Okay it's not his. I'll give you that. But he wasn't even going to send a cop out. I had to tell him I wanted a cop out here.

So the deputy arrives. Looks around for a minute. Asks if I found anything missing. (no but only by the grace of GOD)

He gives me 5 excuses why the door could be open and tells me since I believe nothing is missing, no report. "But he'll make a note they were out here."

I felt like I'd interupted his nap? Not trying to be sarcastic here.

Oh and since there's no visable damage to the door he doubts it was a break in. (then why the h--l was the door open?) I told him I made sure the door was locked and it had latched when I came out of there last night.

Strangely, friday evening when I got home the door was wide open then, too. I thought at first my sister had been here? I knew it wasn't my parents. They were in Virginia visiting relatives.

I asked around work if anyone had a gun that would maim or dismember that I could borrow? Just in case.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Went to go to work this morning. (at 3:15am)

Got outside, open car door to throw my stuff in and ................. GEE, my freaking door is open to my barn. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

I turned on every single light I could get my hands on then called 911.

You know, the 911 operator wasn't too concerned someone may have just broken in to my property. Okay it's not his. I'll give you that. But he wasn't even going to send a cop out. I had to tell him I wanted a cop out here.

So the deputy arrives. Looks around for a minute. Asks if I found anything missing. (no but only by the grace of GOD)

He gives me 5 excuses why the door could be open and tells me since I believe nothing is missing, no report. "But he'll make a note they were out here."

I felt like I'd interupted his nap? Not trying to be sarcastic here.

Oh and since there's no visable damage to the door he doubts it was a break in. (then why the h--l was the door open?) I told him I made sure the door was locked and it had latched when I came out of there last night.

Strangely, friday evening when I got home the door was wide open then, too. I thought at first my sister had been here? I knew it wasn't my parents. They were in Virginia visiting relatives.

I asked around work if anyone had a gun that would maim or dismember that I could borrow? Just in case.
Get your own. It is your right that should be exercised. If you don't, it will dissapear.

·
12,256 Posts
I own several guns because I think cops are pretty much worthless when you need help. :rolleyes:

But they always seem to be around when you don't want them. They'd rather harrass then help you, imo. Apologies to anyone here who's a cop, but that's been my experience....and it seems like rj's is consistent with mine.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have the doors on Big Deadbolt locks..Alarm with a motion sensor..plenty of signage for it and yup a Remington pump shotgun in the house if that dont discourage them enough:)

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
2 words..Pit Bull..Nuff said!:happy0030:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
That's why I have an alarm on my shop and garage. It's gone off twice in the 8-10 years I've had it. They didn't get in.......it makes a heck of a lot of noise. I've got a loaded shotgun, too. Around here, i usually need the Border Patrol as much as I need the Sheriff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I own several guns because I think cops are pretty much worthless when you need help. :rolleyes:

But they always seem to be around when you don't want them. They'd rather harrass then help you, imo. Apologies to anyone here who's a cop, but that's been my experience....and it seems like rj's is consistent with mine.
I'm not one to bash them as they have a very difficult job. Unfortunately for civilians the police have no duty to protect any of us. It has been agreed in the court of law they are not obligated to protect an individual. When seconds count, police are minutes away. Protect yourself, loved ones, and your belongings. God bless America and the 2nd amendment!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not trying to sound like a butt hole but that statement tells me you should forget the gun, unless you're willing to pay for proper training, and just get a watch dog. There's a whole lot more to self defense than having a gun "just in case".

·
Administrator
68,012 Posts
rj I would be scared to find the barn door open on two seperate occassions is too much of a co incidance unless Alzheimer's is kicking in, guard yourself as who ever it is they are snooping around :anim_25:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I put up a motion detector dual flood lamp near the door. Maybe something like that would tell you if somebody was at the door and that it wasn't just memory failure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not trying to sound like a butt hole but that statement tells me you should forget the gun, unless you're willing to pay for proper training, and just get a watch dog. There's a whole lot more to self defense than having a gun "just in case".
Get a gun legally, get it registered, then maim, dismember, do what you have to do. Just remember if you shoot someone outside drag them in you house or garage. Just in case.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I live over in Lawrence Co Ohio, and we only have 2 deputies on duty, per shift, for one of the largest counties in OH. You're lucky if you can get a response when needed. There are guns in my house, I know how to use them, and all the neighbors know that as well. Seems I get called to check out open doors or someone in the house more than the Sheriff ever does.

Reminds me of the old joke... guy calls Law Enforcement and tells them he hears someone snooping around, and asks for an officer to come investigate. They tell him they will have someone there in about half an hour, and hang up. He calls back about 3 minutes later and tells them to never mind hurrying, he shot the intruder and he will be there when they arrive. The cops show up about 5 minutes later, look for a body and find none. They then ask the homeowner "Thought you had shot an intruder?" The homeowner responded... "Thought you said it was gonna be half an hour before you got here..." Sometimes it's all in how you report it lol.

I think we're all going to find more and more doors open if things don't change in our country. It's too easy to steal, and much less of a moral outrage than it used to be. I've seen too many discussions where the crime wasn't what was wrong, what was wrong was that the perp got caught. It's sure a different way of thinking now days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a bad experience for you . Definitely think about exercising you 2nd amendment right by purchasing a firearm and learn how use it properly. You should also consider putting up motion lights around the entrances, thats what I have . :bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I am with OF on this one. Get yourself an big yard dawg and a pump shotgun. Nothing will raise the hair on the back of your neck like a dog growling and the sound of a shell being jacked into the chamber og a shotgun.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Last night at about 11:30 it sounded like someone plowed into the side of our house, shook the windows. I jumped up and so did my 16 yr old son. I grabbed my pistol, checked the porch, garage, and basement and cautiously went outside looking around. Never did find anything and today found out there was a tanker truck wreck and explosion on the interstate about 3/4 mile away.

I agree with others, if you get a gun make sure you know how to safely and responsively use it, along with everyone else in the house that is old enough. My 16 yr old is a better shot than I am, but I sure don't trust a 16 yr old's judgement to use one in most situations. He does know where an extra gun is kept and knows very well how to use it in case he is ever home alone and had to have one. He loves to go shooting and we go occasionally. I think it is important to practice occasionally if you are going to have one. I found out last time I shot the gun I carry that it didn't like to feed a certain brand of hollow points.....good to know if you are going to rely on one. Gun ownership is a right we need to protect. I usually have one with me everywhere it is legal to carry one. I pray I never need to use it, but would if I had to and there was no other choice.

·
Registered
389 Posts
About a year ago some POS broke into my garage. They only took 2 wrench sets but it could have been bad. At the time the car was all apart with tools and parts every where. My Harley was unlocked by the door. Someone could have cleaned me out. I have since changed to a steel door with a steel frame and turned the door around so it opens out, and added a few outside lights. I also bought a 15 dollar driveway alarm from Harbor Freight that I mounted the sensor right inside the door so if someone comes through the door a loud chime goes off in my bedroom. It seems like a cheap piece of mind. Oh yea, I also have a pistol in my bedside table!

JB.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
In my area, there are alot of crazy people. *******, dopped up country idots for the most part. Several years ago, the wife and I went through the CCWD (concealed weapons class). I would suggest you do something like that. They not only make sure you can actually shot but they make sure you know where to shoot them....lol. Most of my neighbors owns guns, I know because they are always shooting them, but they also know I own guns so we usually get along well. I also believe there is a drug dealer next house down from me due to the amount of traffic but I don't have any problems with them, they know to stay off my property.
One of my previous neighbors came over one day and asked if my house had been broken into. I said no and she said hers had. I told her I own guns and they better not try to break in my house cause I will protect my family at all cost and shoot the thief. She said she thinks it was her son that broke in her house. I told her to tell him to stay away from my house or I would pull the trigger. Some times you have to stand up for what you own and your family. If they got in twice to you building they will think they can do it again. Protect yourself and your family. I do plan to add a security system because my garage houses alot of tools and cars I don't want stolen while I'm away.
Josh
Josh

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree I was very lucky.

My service door and overhead were both replace october, 2009. The service door does have a dead bolt in it and the cop said he thought it'd be a good idea to start using it. Maybe even in the day time.

A guy I work with, his house was broken in to twice. By someone walking by as far as they can tell. He said the city cops were of little use to him as far as catching whoever was doing this. I guess several homes around him were all broken in to in similar fashion. But he told me he bought 2 cameras off the net for $35. So now he can see who it was just in case they return a 3rd time.

I admit I haven't fired a weapon in close to 20 years. But I've own a .22 rifle I got when I was 14.

A motion detector at the door sounds like a better idea since I live where two roads intersect. You walk to my barn and never enter the drive way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts