Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just reposting this since the original thread was lost with the server change over. I'm interested in getting a scissor lift as that is what my space and floor will allow for. Any insight from someone with experience with these. My use will be just for tire changes, brake and suspension work, and fluid changes and anything else I may need to do.

I'm going to go and look at some maybe Thursday at a local distributor, anything that I should look for, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had one a few years back because I only had a 9 foot ceiling and didn't think I had room for a regular lift. It was ok for brakes or waxing the car but any work (even oil changes) were a pain because the frame work for the lift was always in the way. The best thing was that it was portable. I sold it and bought a bendpak 2 post that fit under a 9 foot ceiling and even though I couldn't raise the car all the way up I could at least service everything under the car. I would look at a 2 post or a portable that lifts from the sides like one of the previous posters suggested.A lift is a sizable investment so I would not limit myself any more than necessary. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I did look at the Max-Jack 2 post lift, but my concrete is not up to par, and I don't want to re-pour the floor. That is what got me looking at the scissor lift. I thought it might suit my needs for what I plan on using it for.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
If I were to purchase another lift it would be a portable ramp type. A buddy has one, can be rolled into his shop or outside on the slab if needs to work under car standing. Same problem as lot of us, limited overhead room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kwik-lift

Check out Kwik-lift.com. I just ordered their ramp lift that raises the bottom of the tires 20 inches I think. Looks like a neat rig, mine is arriving in a couple days. Can't wait to try it out. Much better and safer than jackstands. They also have post type lifts available.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Check out Kwik-lift.com. I just ordered their ramp lift that raises the bottom of the tires 20 inches I think. Looks like a neat rig, mine is arriving in a couple days. Can't wait to try it out. Much better and safer than jackstands. They also have post type lifts available.
:tu. Let us now how it works, I was looking at them to.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I looked at the Kwik lift, but I think the scissor lift will work better for my needs. I want to be able to do tires and brake work and other stuff I may have and I didn't want the car on ramps, just wanted to lift it and be able to do what I needed. Let us know how yours works for you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had a Snap On Scissor lift for 10-12 years. Its 7000# rated, easily moved around the shop. Its a dual cylinder lift, with locking points approximately every 2" of lift. I lift my Dmax diesel 4x4 pick up and wifes Yukon Denali for oil changes and tire rotations, brakes and general cleaning. My shop has 9' high walls so this works perfect. When not in use, it is about 4" above the floor and I park my bass boat over the top of it. I have also built a 2x4 woof frame and OSB top that rest over the lift and I install a wheel chock to lift my Harley and do similar maintenance items as our vehicles. There is a tag on it that says who makes it for Snap on...I'll look and reply back.......Ohhhh you guys will be seeing more of me here I am in the process of purchasing a 55' two door hard top.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, where abouts are you located in MI, and welcome to the forums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts