Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...well, actually screws and bolts.

The Accessories Installation Reference Manual gives the exact sizes of all connectors used to attach accessories, but the 1957 Passenger Factory Assembly Instruction Manual only gives part numbers for the connectors.

Does anyone know of a reference book which cross references the connector part numbers with the exact sizes?

Since my car has been stripped to a bare shell for painting and is now ready for reassembly, it would be helpful to know the proper connector sizes needed to put everything back. What is needed is size (width), length and thread pitch. Also helpful would be head type for screws - round, flat or countersunk head; straight slot or clutch or Phillips; and whether bare steel, black oxide or chromed

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I would start with a call to Danchuk...they've been up and down that road for a long time.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,161 Posts
...well, actually screws and bolts.

The Accessories Installation Reference Manual gives the exact sizes of all connectors used to attach accessories, but the 1957 Passenger Factory Assembly Instruction Manual only gives part numbers for the connectors.

Does anyone know of a reference book which cross references the connector part numbers with the exact sizes?

Since my car has been stripped to a bare shell for painting and is now ready for reassembly, it would be helpful to know the proper connector sizes needed to put everything back. What is needed is size (width), length and thread pitch. Also helpful would be head type for screws - round, flat or countersunk head; straight slot or clutch or Phillips; and whether bare steel, black oxide or chromed
That information is not in any one refference book. To devote the time needed to compile all the information you requested would compose a small book.
GM used many suppliers for these fasteners, there are variables between east coast and west coast plants. The majority of fasteners were location specific and this included the head thickness, hardness of the fastener, and length. This does not even factor in the coating(s) that were used.
I have spent countless hours removing OEM fasteners from original 55-57's and they vary by year as well. Some of the same fastener are cad plated in one location and heat treated black in another and some are oil finished metal only.

You need to photograph the fastener on your car, have it refinished, and reinstalled to make it correct. Having not done that, you have a long way to go to get everything back as originally installed.

Don't misunderstand what I am telling you. It is a huge task, not simply looked up in some reference book, that GM never printed. Ask Corvette guys about this and you will be shocked and amazed about how much information they have and will argue about.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what you are saying but if a screw was shown to be 168590 or 443777, and a nut is 462928 or 445358 than there must have been some standard to which the supplier had to adhere. GM didn't just make up the numbers to cover a range of items, they were specific. It's not as if the assembly plants just grabbed any part that might have fit, they had to have the right size (#6, #8, #10, etc), thread pitch (16, 24, 32, etc) and length (1/2", 5/8", 1, etc).

If it has an exposed head such as in the interior it mostly had a countersunk head. There was no switching of clutch head with straight slot heads; the workers didn't have to switch drivers just because someone else changed the type of screw. If t didn't matter, the Accessories...Manual wouldn't be specific about the sizes. What I had in mind was finding what the specific part numbers' standards were.

As far as Danchuk, or any other aftermarket supplier, the fasteners they supply are mostly modern style, cad or nickel plated, and of lengths that are close but often too long.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Don's "Ol 55" East Coast Chevy I believe specializes in fastener kits that are as close to original as you can get these days. You've got to realize small fasteners all come from China/Taiwan anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try the book: " how to restore your 57 chevy" by Williams/ Louisiana.
There is practically all the information you'll need on this topic. My car was purchased as a basket case and having this reference was a blessing.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What fastener kit are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Try the book: " how to restore your 57 chevy" by Williams/ Louisiana.
There is practically all the information you'll need on this topic. My car was purchased as a basket case and having this reference was a blessing.
There is a section in the back of the book that shows various fasteners and pictures in actual size and shape.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a file of some 1200 part numbers fro my '57 210, spt coupe. This is a 250k .xls file. I will gladly share what I have with anyone who wants it. There are some missing numbers (about 400), but the part description and use is included. For example: 1/4-20 x 1.00 stud, assembly manual 13/5.00, hood header bar, cadmium. I have just finished updating this file, and I'm still finding conflicts. Part #193938 is used on the dimmer switch, plug wire supports, and plug heat shields. Williams & Louisiana show the dimmer switch screw as a round head slotted and the other applications as hex head. I tend to believe the hex head is correct.

Anyone who wants a copy of this file PM me and I'll send it. And I would appreciate any corrections or additions.

Joe D.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,161 Posts
I have a file of some 1200 part numbers fro my '57 210, spt coupe. This is a 250k .xls file. I will gladly share what I have with anyone who wants it. There are some missing numbers (about 400), but the part description and use is included. For example: 1/4-20 x 1.00 stud, assembly manual 13/5.00, hood header bar, cadmium. I have just finished updating this file, and I'm still finding conflicts. Part #193938 is used on the dimmer switch, plug wire supports, and plug heat shields. Williams & Louisiana show the dimmer switch screw as a round head slotted and the other applications as hex head. I tend to believe the hex head is correct.
Anyone who wants a copy of this file PM me and I'll send it. And I would appreciate any corrections or additions.

Joe D.
90% of the ones I have removed were cad plated slotted machine screws with the mounting plate being cad plated CLUTCH head sheetmetal screws.

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
" I aint never shot nobody I didn't have to." - John Wayne, Rooster Cogburn.
Sorry... I couldn't resist. lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts