Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,,,, What sealant is supposed to go in the front and back glass on the 55;s? Danchuck's Glass installation instructions mention the sealant but no reference to what part number it might be and I don't find it in other catalogs either,,,?? How much is needed for both?
Also,,,Does the front glass NOT have the same clips the rear glass has? I haven't taken the front glass off yet,,, and find no mention in any catalog of any replacement clips for front glass.
Has anybody done either of these recently and want to offer any kind words of Wisdom,,,? Thanks :flag6:

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I used 3m auto glass sealant #8509. A bead on both the rear glass and windshield. Make sure glass is centered during installation.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
The clips for the front are different from rear glass. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mickey,,, you did mean 8509 didn't you??? Just kidding, Guy. Anyway, we went up to the Alien City today and went to O'reilly's , CARQUEST, Autozone and no luck on finding some 8509. So guess it's ebay as living in the boonies has disagvantages,,,in availability of stuff.
I'm just curious, as Danchuck's installation instructions sheet differs from the Chevrolet Assembly Manual. Section 1-27, paragraph 2 is very misleading to me. When I took the back glass out of the car last week, the clips along the top and along the bottom of the glass were inbedded on the pinchweld NOT in the rubber channel as the manual states,,,, Am I missing something,,???
Hey Angs1957 and BelairV8, thanks for your input, I do appreciate it. This car had the EZ-Eye glass all around and am doing my best to save the front and back glass is why I am asking so many questions. Please excuse.
Rick, let me see if I understand this right. The 8509 sealant goes in the glass to rubber cavity "Before or after' glass is installed,? And the caulking strips go ON the pinchweld BEFORE the glass with rubber is installed,,?
Rayharris,, I am waiting on an order for the clips set for the rear before I tackle the front, so have no idea how that one comes apart or what clips look like. :flag6:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, part of my order came in and I have the new back glass clips in hand and ready, I think to install the back glass in my 55 Hdtp.
I thought Rick was going to chime in some questions,, so,,I have a question or two if someone can help.
1. Do you inject the 8509 sealant into the rubber cavity where the glass goes?
2. Do you inject this before or after you install glass in car?
3. The caulking strips are laid in on the pinch weld,,?:flag6:

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
You'll have more luck finding the 8509 at an automotive paint store than at most auto supplies. Or you can get it online.

There is a sticky post on windshield installation somewhere on the site. Another one at chevytalk.com at the top of the stock forum.

The usual recommendation is 3M strip caulk on the pinch weld especially the seams and rough areas and 8509 between the glass and rubber. You'll need strip caulk to seal around the wiper drives.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Rick,, Thanks for the response, I did find a very in depth article in Danchuck's site for front windshield, but they make no mention of using anything other than the caulking on the pinchweld. Is the 8509 just additional insurance against leakage to the inside of car? I could not find any local or in the Alien City but do see some on Ebay.
I found some of the "special" caulking for a caulk gun in East Coast's catalog and have 3 tubes coming for back glass and windshield.
Another question,,,if I may,,,the new clips I received for rear glass are kinda throwing me. When installed on pinch weld,, the part that stands up and "hooks" the molding,,seems to rest real Tight against the body on all the clips,,,,???? Is this normal? I don't rmember who I ordered these clip[s from but they only sent 15 vs car had 20 clips,,,Will this be a problem?:flag6:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts