Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Bearing

Per bearing manufacturers shelf life is five years before they need to be reconditioned. There's no benefit to NOS.

Joe

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,710 Posts
Reconditioned? I am assuming that means checking for surface rust and re-lubing/rust preventative.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Per bearing manufacturers shelf life is five years before they need to be reconditioned. There's no benefit to NOS.

Joe
New Departure division did not publish bearing expiration dates when these products where newly manufactured. I would say this is a "modern" manufacturing concept for modern bearing materials.

These 1950s vintage bearings are chromium steel ball bearings in sealed cages, you would just clean and repack the grease on this vintage type of alloy material. There is no shelf life. Though I would suggest checking used balls with a micrometer, they tend to shrink with age. ;-)

I would disagree with you on the benefit of NOS, at least on mechanical and electrical parts made when the cars were still on the road regularly. The fit with period correct NOS is not something you ever have to worry about.

There is also the historical accuracy as well. If those who are a follower of the NCRS way of restoration, this would another advantage of NOS.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Should we criticize a persons for sale ads on here? I think not. We can throw stones all day long at any thing someone has for sale, especially four door cars.

·
Premium Member
16,023 Posts

Joe
I'm not seeing that an NOS front wheel bearing is not a good choice when the other choice is usually a "made in China" bearing. What is there to go bad on a steel ball bearing sitting on a dry shelf?... :dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts