Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys .. is there a secondary vin location on a 56 210 .. the reason im asking is that i just getting an appraisaal done on my car and realized that the ownership vin dosent match the car.This is a US car brought into Canada in i973 by po . i should have checked but didnt... so to correct situation i need to verify the vin by an antique car appraiser that its the correct vin then get a letter from a GM dealer stating that this vin would match the car.. I need to get this straightened out before i head over the border to Sommerset next week / Crossing into the US would be no problem but coming back into Canada could be a problem if customs verify vin ..thanks PS i know there is supposed to be one one the top of the frame , but wondering if theres any spot easier..

68,758 Posts
hi fred. only know of the two places on top of frame (hard to see). :anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
hi fred. only know of the two places on top of frame (hard to see). :anim_25:
Under the seat and about 18" to the rear of that.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Please be aware that the stamped numbers on top of the frame are going to be very hard to read. I could not see them on mine after pulling the body off the frame, but they became visible after some scraping and wire brushing. Then I sandblasted the area and they were quite clear. After shooting some primer they were hard to find in certain light conditions. I was able to highlight them enough to take some photos. Then when I shot some paint over the primer they got hard to see again.

The number is slightly abbreviated compared to the door frame VIN tag. The US VIN number is like this: VX55XNNNNNN. V8 cars have the V, 6 cylinder cars have nothing. The second letter is A, B, or C depending on whether it;s a 150 (A), 210 (B), or Bel Air (C). 55, 56, or 57 is the model year. The next letter is the assembly plant. The rest is the number sequence for the assembly plant where the car was assembled. The frame number leaves off the (V)(A,B,or C) and starts with the model year.

In Texas, cars were titled and registered with the engine number in 1955, and with the VIN on the door frame after that. Other states may have used either the engine number or the VIN number.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just found mine after pulling the body off the frame. the first was actually under the small strip of rubber between the frame and rear seat floor pan on the left side. the other was 1 1/2 feet or so in front of that. even after sandblasting, priming and painting, the numbers were hard to read. Mine looked like only the top half of the stamp marked the frame.
good luck on finding and recording yours with the body on. Maybe scotch-brite, a small mirror and flashlight??
-Ken

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys, i cant believe how easy i got this straightened out . i went to the dmv and just asked them point blank , how do we correct this problem ? its been like that since entering Canada in 73 .. she told me i need a letter from an appraiser saying that this looks and decodes like the proper vin plate and is undisturbed.... next i needed basicly the same letter from a GM dealer stating that this vin would be apprpriate for this car .. got both letters today , went to dmv .. walla 10 minutes later and for no money , they had a new ownership card printed and i was on my way.. but it sure helped to happen to be working for the appraiser and know someone at DMV...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts