Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking lately about security.

Hopefully one day, I will have my 57 Done, and no matter how much insurance I get, It would break my heart if it were ever stolen. It may not be perfect but it will be my dream car.

So what do you guys think of security options etc.

Or maybe I am just over reacting.

Here is some I have been thinking of.

1. A kill switch under the dash.

2. A gps located in a hidden position so the car could be tracked.

3. Car alarm etc.

What are your opinions

Are security options needed and if you have any in mind what are they.

I am not asking what you use personally to protect your car, just what are your ideas.

Otis:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Security

Otis, I've got a kill switch under the dash that turns off all power except the hot wire needed for the alarm/door locks/radio. I also have my battery in the trunk with a kill switch to the starter main wire. I ran the main lead to the starter through the frame. With the switch off in the trunk...nothing hot at the starter. If I'm just out for a minute I shut the switch off under the dash...nothing hot to the coil. They would have to get down by the starter abd hot wire from the starter to the coil...not an easy task. Overnight..switch in trunk off...switch under dash off...alarm armed and ready. Thinking about implementing an idea one of my buddies had...a powder charge that goes off sounding like a shot gun blast IF they hot wire to the coil. Might scare the snot out of them!!

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mule

Actually I like both of your ideas.

I like the idea of the battery in the trunk, I already have a kit for that, but when you ran it thru the frame, could you give me some ideas did you drill holes in the frame or what.

I have a fish cable to get it thru I need an entry and exit point.

Thanks

otis :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used to lock my 442 in reverse with a chain around the shifter and a chain between the brake petal and clutch petal and the seat mount.
I never locked the doors ( didn't want them breaking glass before they encountered the chain ).

Newer design....

http://www.wondertvproducts.com/autolock/autolock.html

http://www.universally-yours.com/Autolock.htm

The best deterent is something that is VERY VISIBLE from the outside like

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VARLS100.htm

Starter Bypass http://www.powerlock.com/systemdetails.html

GPS
http://www.directed.com/security/python/gps.asp

And FINALLY .......

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Anti_20Theft_20Snot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cable Through Frame

Otis, I didn't have to drill any holes. On the braces that are inside the frame their are gaps on the inside portion of the frame. Enough to get a cable through it. Their are holes in the side of the frame along the way so you can help fish the cable through. Really wasn't that hard to do. Just gotta make sure the cable doesn't have any kinks in it that would make it scrape on the metal edges and cut into the insulation. Wasn't hard though. AND if I can do it anybody can! I'll take some pics and post of the entrance and exit spots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cable Through Frame

The cable goes into the frame on the outside part of the frame on the passengers side right in front of the back wheel.

It come out at the front straight across from the starter.

I'm going to slide some plastic loom around the cable where it goes through the frame for added security/insulation.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mule

That is the best way I understand pictures

and I will put a cut off switch somewhere

Otis:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
:eek: Hey Mike, Great idea on how to protect your Tri-Five, with the Barret Rifle you can provide security up to a mile away!

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Yes sir a fine weapon. A friend of mine just ordered one. I like the sniper version, but it's out of my price range. Plus I don't think it can be bought yet. It reaches out 2,000 meters. Weighs 25lbs. Big improvement over the earlier version at 45lbs.
Also gives new meaning to 'reach out and touch someone'

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oh man... this is subject near and dear to my heart.

Vehicle thefts are extremely high here in Arizona. Phoenix is close enough to the border that if someone steals the car at night, the car could be across the border before you even wake up!

To be blunt, I am a pretty poor guy. Or at least I live that way. I live in the almost-ghetto, and I used to work in one of the highest car theft areas when I went to ASU.

I had a motorcycle, the same one, stolen three separate times! My 300Z broken into, my 68 Cougar broken into and my 68 Cougar was stolen! When the Cougar was stolen, they took it with a tow truck... I have not had one problem since I started installing car alarms in my vehicles.

Get an alarm, and make sure it has a flashing LED!!!!! It makes a huge difference. Visual deterrents make all the difference. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that if someone really wants your car, they will get it. But, the idea is to make your car more difficult than someone else's car. Seriously. Car thieves are lazy and they will go for the easy money.

Also, spend the money and get a great alarm. I have alarms on both my Yukon and my motorcycle that have paging remotes. That means if someone messes with your ride, the key FOB remote starts beeping and/or vibrating if the alarm goes off. That's nice peace of mind to buy. For example, if you are eating in a restaurant and the remote starts to beep, you know you better go check on your car. (That means you might actually catch the jerk who door dings your car).

Also, both of the remotes on my vehicles have an LCD read out. That means you can see what triggered the alarm. For example, if the shock sensor goes off it might not be that big of a deal. But, if the door sensor goes off, you KNOW someone is inside your car.

GET AN ALARM!!!

Another thing to check... Call your insurance company. Often you will get a discount on your insurance (about 10%) if you have an alarm. The alarm could pay for itself in a few years if your insurance will give you a discount.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Excellent advice.

The price of a top notch security system is far less than the cost of replacing your car, the stereo, your CD's, and any other valuable content.

Visual deterrents are very important. Get yourself a "Club" while you're at it. A would-be thief might think twice if he has to spend time sawing off part of your steering wheel, or the club to get your ride!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
In my 65 Chevy I had an electric fuel pump wired on a toggle switch up under the dash. About 20 feet and you were out of gas. On another few cars I cut into the wire between the points and coil and installed a toggle switch hidden away in the glove box or up under the dash. Didn't really have alarm systems back then.
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts