Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The doors on a 55 2 door sedan.

I have one that has a slight crown from front to back across the middle of the door witha str8t edge laid flat and I have one that is pretty much flat at that same point.

One is driver and one is pass, both off the same car.

Which contour is correct?

Larry

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Larry, as funny as it may sound, I dare say the door that is most flat has been damaged somewhat and repaired too flat. My doors (sedan) have both a crown front to back and of course top to bottom. To have one of the these cars "straight" down the side, it would require as much as a 1/4" of filler on the ends of the panels. You know, kind of like Boyd Coddington does?

·
Registered
24 Posts
On a properly shaped panel, does the front to back crown diminish as you move down the door towards the rocker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crowns

I felt that the flat door was the culprit as few panels seem to be flat, but it looked so good I had a hard time thinking it was incorrect. The crowned door does in fact have some damage.

As to boyd, I have an "aquaintance" that bought a Boyd car and he has yet to register it in Ohio after having it nearly three years. It is my understanding that the NY state title that Boyd provided was suspect and he has just resorted to sharing the registration from another 32 rod with the boyd car.

$60,000 (unpainted car with no interior,very incomplete) and he is afraid to go to the BMV witht the Boyd title.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Byrdman, yes the door does flatten at the bottom. It should be even with the rocker when the door is closed. Having said that, I doubt any were true along the edge even when new. I have always said if a tri-five has good margins all around, someone made it that way.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Folks
A good customer of mine in Jersey ( a fed agent ) called me a few years ago and kiddingly said hey hide all your NY titles they have a half dozen or so hot rod shops there going to raid for false titling in order to avoid huge state sales tax cost and the time it takes to get a special constructed state vin tag. The NY titles are old cancelled registrations from the 50's and 60's that are tranferable to another owner. The were suppose to be ol buy out from area NY salvage yards and some sold them as memorbilia just to hang on the wall . Although when you recieved them they were like new no fade or wrinkles. HMMMMMM not in my wallet :) Try to but one today they are tuff to get ahold of and folks still want them but in my estimation its not worth the time............or fines :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Byrdman, yes the door does flatten at the bottom. It should be even with the rocker when the door is closed. Having said that, I doubt any were true along the edge even when new. I have always said if a tri-five has good margins all around, someone made it that way.
Thanks Mike. Good quote, I like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts