Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I referred to my 57 2 doo. r sedan as a sedan. Later I referred to my 55 two door sedan as a "Post" I was asked if I was calling a hard top a Post. Back in the sixties in Oklahoma and in Alabama I know that was common. Is this the first time any of you have heard a sedan called a Post? And would you think I was calling a hard top a post?? It must have been some good natured harassment for new members! I thought everyone has heard a sedan called a "Post". For obvious reasons. Two obvious reasons!! lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
I referred to my 57 2 doo. r sedan as a sedan. Later I referred to my 55 two door sedan as a "Post" I was asked if I was calling a hard top a Post. Back in the sixties in Oklahoma and in Alabama I know that was common. Is this the first time any of you have heard a sedan called a Post? And would you think I was calling a hard top a post?? It must have been some good natured harassment for new members! I thought everyone has heard a sedan called a "Post". For obvious reasons. Two obvious reasons!! lol

A sedan is a Post. that is the correct terminology and in the lexicon of most Tri five folk.

Hard tops have no posts and that is correct for every manufacturer foreign and domestic. Calling a Hard Top a sedan is incorrect.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
Denver, Colorado 1956 Nomad
791 Posts
Found this from an old post on this site.
"Official" names were 2 door sedan and 4 door sedan. A 2 door hardtop is a "sport coupe". A 4 door hardtop is a "sport sedan". Confusing the issue is a Delray 2 door sedan which is sometimes called a "club coupe".

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have never called them a POST, and not starting now. A sedan or a hardtop. I think the term post is a stupid as people thinking and refering to EVERY Tri-Five as a BelAir...no idea where that crap started!

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
209 Posts
I think some people believe a hardtop is anything but a convertible and don't realize that there are coupes/hardtops and sedans/posts..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Prior to about 1951 all of the 2 door coupes had a Post.

Hardtop is the abbreviated version of Hardtop Convertible (for cars without "B" pillars) which the manufactures coined to differentiate from a post car or sedan car.

At some point the Hardtop Convertible was coined Sport Coupe by the manufacturers.

But all of the definitions are kinda fuzzy slang terms.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For me growing up, coupe = 2 door, sedan = 4 door. Post and Hardtop differentiated the pillar and pillarless body styles.

·
Premium Member
12,999 Posts
I have never called them a POST, and not starting now. A sedan or a hardtop. I think the term post is a stupid as people thinking and refering to EVERY Tri-Five as a BelAir...no idea where that crap started!
A “post” has always equated to a sedan as far back as I remember. Not stupid because every damn sedan on our cars had a post, while a HT doesn’t. Who out there can argue that?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts