Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
When I was about 8 years old, my 12 year old cousin, (also a 57 chevy fan) explained the difference between a 57 150 and a hardtop in a parking lot. The hardtop doesn't have this metal between the windows like a 2 door sedan. It was pretty easy for me to understand. Awhile back, one of my brother's employees was asking about a 57 Chevy he had seen for sale. It was a special rare model 2 door post car. I explained that it was a sedan, but could be a utility sedan or maybe a Del Ray. Long story, but it turned out to be the basket case that I bought for $35, looted the front seat, quarter stainless and radiator and sold for @ $100. The owner was still convinced that post cars are different than sedans. It's no big deal, but I've never seen any reference to post cars in any GM literature or even parts catalogs. I consider it bench racing slang among the cool kids. Cousin Ron still has the sedan he bought about 4 years later and I still have the hardtop that I got 8 years later.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,040 Posts
I never ever heard of a sedan called a post until joining this group. That's been a while but it still sounds weird to me. You are correct jmg283, GM never called any car a "post" or "post car".

·
Registered
645 Posts
A “post” has always equated to a sedan as far back as I remember. Not stupid because every damn sedan on our cars had a post, while a HT doesn’t. Who out there can argue that?
The marketing department at Chevrolet for one. 1957 Chevy 4-door HARDTOP was called a Sport Sedan by Chevrolet. So at least one sedan without a post.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I gets confusing model nomenclature is basically marketing hype.
The term "hardtop convertible" is a classic example, your hardtop from that era is not a convertible.
Do you have "Corinthian leather" seating in your Chrysler product? The term was coined by an advertising agency. Ram Air is more baloney.
Its your junk call it whatever you like I use a metaphor for a female canine when referring to mine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A sedan is a Post. that is the correct terminology and in the lexicon of most Tri five folk.

Hard tops have no posts and that is correct for every manufacturer foreign and domestic. Calling a Hard Top a sedan is incorrect.

Hope that helps
SAME AS HE SAID !!
I'VE BEN BUILDING CARS SINCE THE 60'S & WE ALWAYS REFERRED TO A SEDAN AS A POST CAR. IT'S A SLANG TERM FOR THE SEDAN, SO HOPEFULLY THEY'RE YOUNG & NEW TO THE SICKNESS OF A BEAUTIFUL CAR ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Far I know hardtop means no “B” pillar post and could be 2-door or 4-door.
Believed "coupe" meant 2-door (until Mercedes messed up my thinking with 4-door models they call a "coupe").
Sedan means the vehicle will always have a “B” pillar, and could be 2-door or 4 door.

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
194 Posts
As far as an old classic goes, in my area, it’s either a hardtop or post. Sedan and coupe isn’t part of the vocabulary here when referring to the cars of the 50’s, 60’s, or early 70’s.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On the ‘56 year models, I found this comparison chart for different styles offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have never called them a POST, and not starting now. A sedan or a hardtop. I think the term post is a stupid as people thinking and refering to EVERY Tri-Five as a BelAir...no idea where that crap started!
It is not stupid!!! Anyone with that limited thinking did not grow up in the 50s, It was as common as men's zipper in front center in the 50's. Call it what you want!! A sedan does have two posts between the side windows. A hardtop does not!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have never called them a POST, and not starting now. A sedan or a hardtop. I think the term post is a stupid as people thinking and refering to EVERY Tri-Five as a BelAir...no idea where that crap started!
LOL YOU did know that hardtop is the same type terminology as Post, right???? It is Sedan
If calling a sedan a post is stupid, calling a sport coupe and a sport sedan a hardtop is equally stupid!! Did you just call yourself stupid?? Whether or not you use the term post, you should know what it means! Just like the hardtop, right??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
On the ‘56 year models, I found this comparison chart for different styles offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the pics. They should clear up what the factory called them. I thought almost everyone knew that Post and hardtop were slang versions of sedan and sport coupe. I did not know that factory called a 4 door hardtop, a sport sedan. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
939 Posts
As my sign in name indicates, I use the term "post." I kinda grew up calling cars with B pillars "post" and those without "hardtop." Funny- as a very young kid that was car crazy, I could tell the 3 years apart well before I knew there was a "hardtop" or "post." I just knew that some looked better to me for some reason (always been partial to that B pillar, I guess!). "Coupe" and "Sedan" were terms usually used to reference 2 or 4 doors, respectively. Either way, I've never had an emotional attachment to what it's called. My wife calls it "that *%$# money pit."

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
As far as an old classic goes, in my area, it’s either a hardtop or post. Sedan and coupe isn’t part of the vocabulary here when referring to the cars of the 50’s, 60’s, or early 70’s.
Coupe actually does apply for pre 1955 cars, as Chevrolet actually did build a different body and roof line for a "coupe" prior to 1955. Often the roof line was shorter, and trunk area was longer, but the same wheelbase as other models. These were very common models in the early 50's, and are very distinctive with their long deck areas.
Later Chevrolet still used the term "business coupe", but the body was the same exterior as a 2dr. sdn. Just no backseat, and was a very basic stripped down model.

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
194 Posts
No argument here but my point was what the classic cars of the 50’s, 60’s, and early 70’s are referred to in my neck of the woods. Hardtops and Posts.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,040 Posts
They don't even say "Sport Coupe"? What a shame.

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
The marketing department at Chevrolet for one. 1957 Chevy 4-door HARDTOP was called a Sport Sedan by Chevrolet. So at least one sedan without a post.
Most guys I was around back then (except the Geritol types) didn’t even consider a 4dr a car. It was embarrassing to even be seen near one.

It’s funny how the terms meaning changed. Before our cars a sedan wasn’t even near as cool as a coupe.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Most guys I was around back then (except the Geritol types) didn’t even consider a 4dr a car. It was embarrassing to even be seen near one.

It’s funny how the terms meaning changed. Before our cars a sedan wasn’t even near as cool as a coupe.
Same here Dan! Nobody would be caught owning or driving a 4 dr. And the same for coupes vs. sedans. Even a 2 dr. sedan was considered just marginally better than a coupe as it pertained to say '48 and earlier coupes and sedans.
I'm still not a fan of early sedans, and only the coupes look good to me. Yet my little Austin gasser is a 4dr. sdn., and I don't even think twice about it because it's such a tiny little 4 dr. sdn.!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I’ve always preferred 2 dr sedans in the tri fives. I even really like the 2 door sedans/posts/pillared coupes of the 60s- Nova, Biscaynes, and mopar B bodies like the Belvedere. Won’t say I prefer them to the hardtop models in those cars (except maybe the Chevy B bodies), but I really like them.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I too have always preferred sedans in the Tri Fives to hardtops. But I also prefer the lower 150's to the higher end models also.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Agreed. I went thru great work and expense to put the 150 trim back on my car after a previous owner "upgraded" it with Bel Air side trim. One of more than a few things I'd love to time travel back to 1980 and talk to this guy about :p

21 - 40 of 59 Posts