Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at kits to convert to self adjusting rear brakes. It appears that that some of the springs are amended from the stock set up (star adjuster springs looks different, and possibly the shoe return springs) and you're obviously adding parts that weren't in the stock drum brake.

How would you fiind/order replacement parts and springs for maintenance at a later date that weren't in the stock drum set up? (just order parts from a later Chevy that had self adjusting brakes?)

Thanks
Ace

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have been looking for a parts list to do this conversion myself. if anyone has the list of parts needed please post it up and hopefully we can get it sticked as it would be a great mod for all trifives as keeping the drums adjusted is a huga PITA

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Self adjusting brakes

hey guys I read your posts and got out my Ecklers catalog (you can look online). On page 24 they have the kits pictured You could look at the pictures and print it before going to a yard to look for the parts or a parts store if they happen to have a Wagner display for brake hardware out. BTY Ecklers charges 34.05 for rear only or 67.99 front and rear.:anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,379 Posts
Ace....The self-adjusing rear brake kits are essentially the same as what came stock on 63 and above GM products.....Several of the parts stores still carry the spring components.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thans Pops, that's what I was wondering.....but specifically, what '63 and later Chevy had 14" wheels and 11" drums like my '57....?? I assume this would make a difference in the size of springs and other parts...

(Hey, I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world to pay $35 for another self adjusting kit from Ecklers or Danchuk if I needed new parts..., but it would be nice to get things from NAPA or O'Reilly, etc as needed...)

·
50,379 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
wanna have some fun try adjusting the orginal brakes with a set up traction bars installed its a time consuming ordeal let me tell you. Add to it that it always takes me forever to get drums adjusted just right and you get a recipe for naughty words!

·
50,379 Posts
wanna have some fun try adjusting the orginal brakes with a set up traction bars installed its a time consuming ordeal let me tell you. Add to it that it always takes me forever to get drums adjusted just right and you get a recipe for naughty words!
Coincidently, on this '55 I just got, I did a brake job all the way around....The PO had installed traction bars....When it came time to adjust the rear brakes, I took them off the car and that's where they'll stay.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have that self adjusting kit on my car. Doesn't self adjust as well as I was hoping it would - the car still gets a little squirrely if I have to hit the brakes hard, so I guess I need to get in there and adjust em myself.

Perhaps that is what they meant by self-adjusting - I adjust em myself! :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thans Pops, that's what I was wondering.....but specifically, what '63 and later Chevy had 14" wheels and 11" drums like my '57....?? I assume this would make a difference in the size of springs and other parts...

(Hey, I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world to pay $35 for another self adjusting kit from Ecklers or Danchuk if I needed new parts..., but it would be nice to get things from NAPA or O'Reilly, etc as needed...)
Gonna bump this up. Did we ever get an answer as to the proper car to reference for purchasing these parts locally??

I'll probably order the kit, then I need to research which wheel cylinders and shoes I should get.

·
50,379 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
63 Chevy Impala with 11"X2" Rear Brakes

I ordered the hardware from Rock Auto for a 63 Impala 327 with 11"X2" Rear Brakes. Here is what is needed for either complete front or complete rear.

1 ea. Rear 11"X2" Drum Brake Hardware Kit - Raybestos H7018...Kit is for two wheels, right and left. $6.98

1 ea. Drum Brake Self Adjuster Repair Kit Left - Raybestos H2508...Kit is for one left side wheel. $10.07

1 ea. Drum Brake Self Adjuster Repair Kit Right - Raybestos H2509...Kit is for one right side wheel. $10.07

The same would be needed to do Tri-Five front drums. DO NOT order the Impala Front sets, because the Impala has 2 3/4" brakes on the front, and your mounting pins would be too long. Rock Auto also carries the Dorman version of these, you can save about $5 more.

A word of caution when installing. Make sure that the self-adjusting pawl engages the star wheel. I needed to straighten the "crooked" self adjusting "rod" a bit to lengthen it. While at rest, it was pulling the pawl too low, past the point of engaging the star wheel. The pawl should engage the star wheel above its centerline.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tri-Five Shoes and Wheel Cylinders

As far as shoes and wheel cylinders, stick with tri-five parts. Tri-five rears are 1 3/4 shoes...not many other cars use these. And your wheel cylinders will bolt on with the proper tubing angle.

I ended up going with 13/16" wheel cylinders in the rear to get the "front disc" to "rear drum" braking balance correct for my car, but I had to replace the tubing because the angle is different.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been searching (with no success) part #'s for the rear drums for my 1955 Chevy 210. I found this thread & I am going to order the hardware & adjuster kits TonyG has suggested. The shoes & the cylinders will be for a 1955 Chevy as he also stated. I don't know which drums to order the 1955 Chevy drums or the 63 Impala drums.:confused:

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Come on now guys- Adjusting them is half the fun. It takes me about 5 minutes to do both rears. Remember outside of star wheel tool up tightens the shoes. Tighten till you feel light continuous drag and then back off 7 clicks on the star wheel. Done Jim

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
The...

"I took them off the car and that's where they'll stay"....

brakes, or the traction bars????:sign0020:

·
50,379 Posts
I've been searching (with no success) part #'s for the rear drums for my 1955 Chevy 210. I found this thread & I am going to order the hardware & adjuster kits TonyG has suggested. The shoes & the cylinders will be for a 1955 Chevy as he also stated. I don't know which drums to order the 1955 Chevy drums or the 63 Impala drums.:confused:
Order the 55 chevy drums....Ask for Bendix p/n 140022:http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1357525

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting Trivia

The 11" X 2" 140022 drum for the 55 front and rear is the same drum as the 63 rear. The 63 fronts, however, are wider.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good point Tony....I didn't really give that much thought to the geometry of the adjuster arm and star when I was installing, but they seem to be working because my brake pedal has firmed up since when I first put them in.

Can someone explain why they only activate when the car stops in reverse? It seems like the drum shoes would move/spread out the same way whether braking in forward or reverse to me.

Ace

1 - 20 of 24 Posts