Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Bump!

Is this a must do? Anyone regret putting them on front and back?
No, it isn't a must do. I replaced my drums and shoes quit a few years ago and have not yet needed to adjust the rears in 10,000 miles. I have checked them when the car was up on a hoist and the rears still make a scraping noise so they are adjusted just fine. I have disc brakes on the front so they do most of the stopping.

I have the hardware to add the self adjusters but I haven't had to service the back brakes so I will not add the adjusters until that time.

As to how the adjusters work, when you apply the brakes going forward, the shoes and the hardware take a set. If you have worked on your brakes you know the shoes can be move around a little. So, when you apply the brakes going backwards, the shoes actually move and take a set that way. This causes the adjuster to click the star wheel a small amount because the adjuster is mounted on the shoes and the star wheel is mounted on the backing plate.

If you haven't worked on brakes before, this explanation is probably not going to make any sense.:sign0020:

Hope this helps.:bowtier:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.