Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Sender Unit is giving me fits

893 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  angs1957 
#1 ·
I have been trying most of the day to get my gas gauge to read correctly. This is in a 56 Chevy and I've read most of the older threads about grounds. This one is different. Out of the tank it works perfectly and reads .7 to 36 ohms. Put it in the tank and it will read 6.6 ohms when it did read.7. All I've done is run the screws into the tank. I've taken this unit out a half dozen times trying different things. It is in good shape and doesn't appear to be any stress cracks and it never leaked but readings change once it is screwed in the tank. I've even checked for stray voltage but found none. I've checked inside of the tank and there doesn't seem to be obstructions. While in the tank I could find the lever with a bent welding rod thru the drain hole and it isn't on the bottom being force up. The only thing foregin to this project is the is the 5 mounting screws. Any suggestions ??? I've run out of ideas.

Thanks Ron

#2 ·
This thread is probably operator error but just don't what it is so will stop for the night and take another look in the morning. Maybe it one of the " you can't see the forest for the trees" problems and will be clear tomorrow.
Ronbowtie-trifive :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.