Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I posted an issue I was having with my 56 truck. the temp gauge was pegged at hot but the engine is not running hot. I did quite a bit of research on this website (which is great and I am new to) and found that I am not the only person with issues when it comes to sending units. I have some good information that I wanted to share. The sending unit in my truck is new and has been replaced twice. It has been stated here that the 55 was a mechanical gauge which we know is different from 56 and on. If you walk into a parts store they will give you a sending unit that is compatible for 56 and newer, which lies the problem. Aftermarket senders will work on 57 and newer in most cases. However, 56 required a different and lower resistence in ohms. I talked to a guy at Airtex which is now Wells. He pulled a book from the late 60's and found that the earlier book stated these differences in the ohms but his computer does not. He says the common part is the Wells TU-5, which have compatible numbers with Airtex. The 56 has its own sender which is wells TU-4 commonly found at Autozone. TU4 has the correct resistence and should work properly with the original gauge and they are made in USA from brass not used refrigerator parts. I hope this info will help someone else with the same proble. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
sending unit

Chris
I have a 57 and aftermarkets will not work with original gauge. I almost went crazy trying to find out why it kept reading hot and it wasn't.someone on here set me straight. These parts houses will tell you they will work--WRONG. Delco-remy is the only thing that will match up to the gauge. Hope this helps.
have a blessed day
bamagene

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info Chris. This is why this site just works so well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I found a used delco-remy on e-bay and it worked like a charm. I looked for a good while before I found one. Don't think you can buy a new one, unless you can find someone that has one.
Have a blessed day
bamagene

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed my well TU-4 today and the temp ran exactly where it should. I probably should have been more careful with the term "aftermarket" in my first post. I was trying to explain that there is at least one manufacturer (Wells aka airtex) that make compatible senders. Plus they make them in America and are not knockoff of the originals. The most important thing is to make sure the resistance is correct. Which also explains why people are using inline resistors. Interesting to note that the original sender is different in all three years, 55,56,57. Thanks everyone,(and the right guy at Wells) hopes this helps.

·
Administrator
68,010 Posts
I installed my well TU-4 today and the temp ran exactly where it should. I probably should have been more careful with the term "aftermarket" in my first post. I was trying to explain that there is at least one manufacturer (Wells aka airtex) that make compatible senders. Plus they make them in America and are not knockoff of the originals. The most important thing is to make sure the resistance is correct. Which also explains why people are using inline resistors. Interesting to note that the original sender is different in all three years, 55,56,57. Thanks everyone,(and the right guy at Wells) hopes this helps.
Thanks for the info :tu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts