Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating going with the single belt serpentine system on my 55 build. I have a small block, short water pump and a/c and p/s. Before I spend a lot of dough, (nothing cheap here), I wonder if those of you who have used this system, (March, zoops or billet specialties) help me out with some of your reviews, good or bad. Thanks a lot, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been using the March set-up on my Camaro for quite afew years now and have no complaints. Mind you I am only runnning the waterpump and alternator.
The previous set-up was constantly throwing belts and loosening off (high mount alternator v-belt, seperate v-belt for the waterpump and, at the time, power steering pump). I bought the low mount alternator kit from March at the same time as the serpentine pulleys (much shorter single belt), and all is great, except for a little belt noise this year. I'm sure it just needs a new belt.

Good luck,

Clint

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
After a lot of back and forth I bought a Concept 1 serpentine system. Just love it. Easy to install, looks fantastic and runs smooth. Billet Specialties, good looking system. I did not like their in house built tensioner . Not good if you break down. Also I think they have a remote reservoir , 2 more lines and 4 more fittings. More to brake down. Front runner, Very nice. I hear a lot of good things about this system. My draw back was their plastic Power steering reservoir. You are paying a lot of $$ for BLING, not plastic. They do sell a remote reservoir, same problems as above. I just do not like the brackets on the March system. Personal.
Concept 1 has very good customer service!! When you call you will talk with Kevin, he and his brother own the company. They can answer your questions and help with any problems.
Hope this helps. good luck.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
36,112 Posts
I won't mention any names, but I have seen problems with the systems that mount the compressor and alternator wide and high. The likelihood of belt vibration and instability increases when the belt length increases. And some of these high, wide systems don't mount the components stiff or strong enough. Additional bracing might help but why pay top $ and then modify? The compressor is more likely to be a problem because it is heavier.

Fortunately, for style, the systems that mount everything closer are better looking and don't have these built in problems. I'm talking systems like the VA Front Runner. March and Billet Specialties have brought out similar sytems now too. The only downside is the use smaller components that have to run faster and you have to run the components they are set up for.

If you don't have to have the bling, there are OEM based systems from GMPP and others, the GMPP dealers and Summit have them. They are stable and use components you can buy at any auto supply.

·
Registered
361 Posts
concept 1 they are 15 miles from me and i know of tons of cars plus mine that they are a great stuff.I believe they have 2 diffrent styles for small blocks.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I went with the GMPP system.

You can't beat the price and I like the way it looks. I de-burred, bead blasted and painted all the aluminum brackets with silver base and clear.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Billet Specialties

I'm running Billet Specialties on my BB, pretty much same setup for SB, everything is nice and close, good instructions with install, comes w/1 wire Alt, A/C, PS, WP, I'm pleased, no problems with performance. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, especially roger1, that setup looks very good. Is it the short or long water pump? Thank you

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Thanks, especially roger1, that setup looks very good. Is it the short or long water pump? Thank you
The kit, P/N 12497698, includes a long water pump. The water pump turns in the opposite direction than the one that came with my Ram Jet engine. I will be going with either an AutoRad or PRC cross flow radiator. I don't think I should have an issue with a long water pump with those (I hope).

According to the information that comes with the kit, it is based on the 1991,92 Camaro/Firebird TPI engine. The instructions say to use the service manual for those cars for service information.

Even though this system is relatively inexpensive, like you, cost wasn't the deciding factor for me. The bling of the other custom kits is just not important to me. I was more interested in a proven system with components that would readily available if I ever had a problem. This is going to be a car I will go places in.

I did dress up the brackets though. The castings are aren't the smoothest looking out of the box.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I used one of those companies on a past build. It was a royal pain to get the correct parts. Spacing was off, incorrect threads and so on. This was a lot of wasted time.

The next least expensive would be to use a system from GMPP. There are still issues but minor.

Find a used S-10 in the boneyard or one being parted out. Will bolt right on your sbc. They may not be pretty, but they do not cost 1K or more.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I used one of those companies on a past build. It was a royal pain to get the correct parts. Spacing was off, incorrect threads and so on. This was a lot of wasted time.
Which company?

The next least expensive would be to use a system from GMPP. There are still issues but minor.
Yes, they are very minor. They actually make couple of mistakes in the instructions as far as the bolts. Takes a few minutes of studying to get it figured out. Also had to thread chase one of the bracket holes that mounts the A/C compressor and add an extra washer. I also had to trim the 2 support rods a little to clear my header tubes. It is nice though that they include 2 stainless spacers to accommodate the mounting of those rods when using headers. Some may choose to not to use the rods but I am more concerned with reliability than I am looks and if GM put them there, they must be needed. If anyone would like detailed pictures of mine, I would be glad to post them.

Find a used S-10 in the boneyard or one being parted out. Will bolt right on your sbc. They may not be pretty, but they do not cost 1K or more.
But then you are dealing with used accessories that may have been exposed to the elements for a while.
The GMPP system is just plain easy, fits well, is proven and comes with new accessories. (Except the alternator is an AC Delco re-manufactured unit.)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Roger, I noticed the two water hose bibs, where did you find those or did you make them yourself. This is a nice looking system.

Joe,

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Roger, I noticed the two water hose bibs, where did you find those or did you make them yourself. This is a nice looking system.

Joe,
Thanks Joe.

Glad you asked that question since they need to be installed before the water pump is put on. I got them from Summit. They are stainless and one is a 45 and the other a 90.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRS-1037/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRS-1041/

These were perfect for what I wanted. I'm not going that fancy here. I'll use standard black heater hose (both 5/8) and route them behind the A/C compressor.

Roger

Addition:
Btw, I think I will get a water neck with a different angle. Maybe an adjustable one. But I will wait until I have my radiator install before I decide what to do there. I am not going to keep that air filter there either. I may even be using a different one altogether. I like the idea of going with cold air instead. I'll try to route pipe to in front of the core support somehow.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks Roger that is exactly what I needed. Just ordered them. This site is so full of information...I couldn't do these things without all posts from everyone. As is said, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Joe,

·
Registered
413 Posts
Roger, to answer the question about the PRC Radiator with Long Water Pump I think there would be plenty of room. I'm doing that now. While I don't have the same bracket setup and using side motor mounts I still think there is room. See Pic.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Roger, to answer the question about the PRC Radiator with Long Water Pump I think there would be plenty of room. I'm doing that now. While I don't have the same bracket setup and using side motor mounts I still think there is room. See Pic.
Joe
Cool. Thanks.

I would think that would also mean that the AutoRad setup would probably work as well. I don't think there is that much difference in their designs.

Are you going to get the GMPP system? Looks like you don't have p/s or air now. If so, are you going to dress it up or use it as-is?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My issue was with March.

My reason for the used system was due to the orig post stating he had a a/c and p/s pump. A reman alt and the brackets would be cheaper.

If not the gmpp part is the way to go.

I used a 90 degree water neck on the manifold. It comes straight forward and was easy to make. I used silicone hoses and metal tubing from Speedway motors. It fits well and beats the heck out of the convaluted metal hose or spending time in the back of the auto parts store trying to find something close.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Roger, Actually I do have power steering and will have Vintage Air. The picture provided was while I was doing my first fit with the PRC to see what issues I would need to correct. No issue except minor adjustment of fender width. That is now corrected. See picture of the Bridge Bracket I'll be using for the Alt and Air Comp. Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts