Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been chasing an internal coolant leak, had the intake milled, new head gaskets and arp thread sealant. The engine has a solid flat tappet cam and I have always used the EO/IC moving one cylinder to the next. Trying to save time, I brought the engine to tdc #1 and bounced cylinder to cylinder 1 2 5 7 etc... When I spun 90 deg to bring #6 to Tdc I heard a pop, sounded mechanical. I checked the roller rockers and pushrods rolled on glass, all straight. I was turning the engine by hand, is it possible I was on the wrong stroke when I started, or could I have set a valve to tight and sent it into the piston? After all was checked I adjusted the valves the way I always have and the sound never came back. Any suggestion or advice would be much appreciated. One thought I had was- a rocker was too loose when I was turning the motor over and maybe the pushrod was not in its cup or the tip off center, and the sound was it finding its spot? Don't know

·
Registered
153 Posts
It sounds like you had your cylinder heads reworked. If that's the case it could be a valve spring that wasn't seated in the pocket in the head. It's actually common to hear those noises when you adjust the valves on a new engine. Sometimes it is a pushrod like you described that wasn't quite in the seat of the rocker arm.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran the car today and sounded clean, all cylinders even temps and valve train is pretty quite for a solid. Thanks for the suggestion on the springs that's good to know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts