Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my straight axle in, do u guys recomend the shackels in the front or rear ?

thanks for the help.:party0031:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I think I read on here that Shackles in front you will need to correct for Bump Steer but you get a better ride quality than Shacles in Rear. Less Chance of bump steer if Shackles in rear but ride quality suffers some. Either ay works!

If I am wrong I am sure someone will chime in and let me know..LOL This site ROCKS!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The kits I've seen have them in the front. I put in a speedway kit and that's how it went. I have a mag article from the '60s or early '70s that shows how Blair's Speed shop in Pasadena did them and the photos clearly show the shackles in the front. BTW, their kit was "$132.50, add $15 if you want tubular axle heat treated"!

I have seen several cars that have them in the back. Look at 2loose's car. I'm sure that he can let you know how that setup works.

Here's his car: http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31254

Good luck and measure, measure, measure, oh yeah, and measure!

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Good luck and measure, measure, measure, oh yeah, and measure!

Later,

Mike
i put the shackles in the rear, and a plumb bob is your friend, (i used 4).

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a speedway set-up as well, with the shackles in front. I'm wondering if a rear mounted shackle would cause undue stress to the front solid connection under hard braking, and a "pothole". There would be no means for expending the energy created in such a situation, as with the movement of the front mounted shackle. Just a thought.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feel it's just builder preference. A rear mounted shackle will ride better than a front. This was not a concern for me and I mounted my '59 truck axle with the shackles up front. I did this for a couple of reasons. One being that the factory had it this way in the '59 pickup. The other was so that I could achieve the correct angle on my axle without having to build a large drop down bracket/eye mount or use alot of shims.
If you look at a '60-'87 Chevy 4wd they are rear mounted. Also, I believe there is a conversion for Jeeps that moves the shackle to the rear to improve ride quality.

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
After alot of checking I put mine in the rear of the spring. It gives you a better ride. When you get down to it though it' really is a matter of choice.
Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts