Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a hitch off a 97 Jeep Wrangler and put it on my 57. It mounts under the frame and bolted in to 2 holes already in the frame. then just had to drill 1 more hole in each side and bolt it on.

1st pic is 6ft away and 6ft off the ground as if you were standing at the back of the car looking down

2nd pic is from 6ft away and 1ft off the ground

Mine is a Valley Hitch but here is a pic and the link to one I found on Ebay that looks just like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-J...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5aee3a30b4

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Hitch Info

I got a hitch off a 97 Jeep Wrangler and put it on my 57. It mounts under the frame and bolted in to 2 holes already in the frame. then just had to drill 1 more hole in each side and bolt it on.

Mine is a Valley Hitch but here is a pic and the link to one I found on Ebay that looks just like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-J...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5aee3a30b4
Well your timing was perfect as I just started looking at used hitches in the local wrecking yards so thank you for sharing. Soon I will be pulling this behind me everywhere I go!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well your timing was perfect as I just started looking at used hitches in the local wrecking yards so thank you for sharing. Soon I will be pulling this behind me everywhere I go!!!!!
this if what I'm pulling

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
1997 Jeep Hitch

Well I took Hottrodd57's advice today and acquired a factory hitch from a 1997 Jeep Cherokee (for free). I came home and had to test fit the hitch. Well, he was right!!! I like it and it will work perfectly for me. In a perfect world I'd prefer about one inch less drop. Now I just have to drill holes in the rear frame rail and then I'm in business. :rock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
For placement location, I kept moving it back with the hitch/ball in place until I liked the clearance between bumper and hitch/ball. As it turns out, its not that noticeable under there AND it protects my Rick's Stainless Steel tank.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
And I was just measuring to build my own. Thanks for this ultra valuable info.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I took Hottrodd57's advice today and acquired a factory hitch from a 1997 Jeep Cherokee (for free). I came home and had to test fit the hitch. Well, he was right!!! I like it and it will work perfectly for me. In a perfect world I'd prefer about one inch less drop. Now I just have to drill holes in the rear frame rail and then I'm in business. :rock:

I think the 57 bumper must sit a little lower than the 56 when I slide my receiver in I have about an 1/8" between the receiver and the bottom of the bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Chuck, That is a great tear drop. They are great and they don't require a lot of HP to pull them. Good for you. You might shoot some pictures of the inside for us too.
Larry From Tulare, CA

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That looks great and so much easier than building your own. We built one for my brothers pickup several years ago and it wasn't hare to build but it was time consuming and could have bought one and not had near as much time tied up in it.
Larry From Tulare, CA

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Chuck, That is a great tear drop. They are great and they don't require a lot of HP to pull them. Good for you. You might shoot some pictures of the inside for us too.
Larry From Tulare, CA
Larry, Take a look here http://tinycamper.com/index.htm for pictures of the inside. The model I'm going to get is the 560 Raindrop.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts