·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Like the trailers made of 55 56 and 57 cars that were not repairable. Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok..hitch time..Need some answers from the pros

Ok, ok.. I sold my 57 wagon..so kinda a Non-trifive question.. BUT I have a 58 Belair 4 door sport coupe. and I want to put a hitch on it to tow my 36 kampster by Kaycraft outta Burbank years ago. you time the same will ft on my 58?, thanks in advance. Dave (have no idea why cars photos are upside down)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Ok, ok.. I sold my 57 wagon..so kinda a Non-trifive question.. BUT I have a 58 Belair 4 door sport coupe. and I want to put a hitch on it to tow my 36 kampster by Kaycraft outta Burbank years ago. you time the same will ft on my 58?, thanks in advance. Dave (have no idea why cars photos are upside down)
Your '58 is a beauty!! I too have considered putting a hitch on my '58 Impala. If you get yourself the hitch you can play with the allignment on the frame before you drill your holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
hitch

sshamu, Chuck,
Draw-tite sent me back infor, they said they did not make one for the 58, but could for around 500.00 BUT If I brought them my car for two to three day, they would make one for FREE for it, they are in Tempe..closer to you then me.. so there ya go..can't beat the price right. think I go with this.
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive bicycle rack Auto part Technology
Walmart, Universal fit..114.00 . Heck if it won't work, back it goes.

Ps, you gotta realllllllly nice car man.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed the Curt 13408 hitch on the nomad. Drilled 4 holes and done. Out of the box it doesn't look right but, it fits good. Next up working on beefing up the rear suspension as it drops almost 2" with the trailer hooked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Curious about insurance when towing with a trifive.
Who are you insured with?

Will classic car insurance companies like Grundy and Haggarty still do Agreed-Value policies when the car will be towing a trailer?

Will they insure the trailer itself as well?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Roger1 I'll only tell you what I know from talking with my agent. Which is what you have to do to get the "straight" answer. I have State Farm and have a good relationship with my agent. The Nomad is covered under a Classic car policy, and covered towing the trailer. As long as it's being used within the terms of the policy. Vintage trailer rally's OK, just going camping No. If I had a "stated value" policy on the Nomad then it's like any of my other cars with no restrictions. As I'm sure you know those policies for a classic are expensive. The trailer also has its own comprehensive policy just in case I screw up.
Here's the kicker....... Both are under insured. Why would I do that? My policies have a term "current appraisal". My agent said within 2 years. To keep from having to do that I insured them for values that are easily proven though other means and high enough to cover my actual loss.
That's what I know talking with my agent. I can not stress enough that these things need to be talked about with your agent before the loss........ Also I hope never to have to bring them up with her again, if you know what I mean :p3:

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Roger1 I'll only tell you what I know from talking with my agent. Which is what you have to do to get the "straight" answer. I have State Farm and have a good relationship with my agent. The Nomad is covered under a Classic car policy, and covered towing the trailer. As long as it's being used within the terms of the policy. Vintage trailer rally's OK, just going camping No. If I had a "stated value" policy on the Nomad then it's like any of my other cars with no restrictions. As I'm sure you know those policies for a classic are expensive. The trailer also has its own comprehensive policy just in case I screw up.
Here's the kicker....... Both are under insured. Why would I do that? My policies have a term "current appraisal". My agent said within 2 years. To keep from having to do that I insured them for values that are easily proven though other means and high enough to cover my actual loss.
That's what I know talking with my agent. I can not stress enough that these things need to be talked about with your agent before the loss........ Also I hope never to have to bring them up with her again, if you know what I mean :p3:
Have you thought about trying to go with an "Agreed Value" policy instead of "Stated Value"? Both those terms have defined meanings in the insurance world and are very different. Stated value can be a real risk on a collector car since the payoff in a loss is not a guaranteed amount.
I don't think State Farm itself does Agreed Value but I think they can do it through a 3rd party for you. Maybe it would allow you to not be under-insured anymore and remove some risk. The kicker is whether the trailer would disqualify you for agreed value or not.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is really cool. What are you making the 55 into?:congrats:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for this info. For those who have done it, did any of you modify the mounting brackets so they are flat? Or did you bolt the hitch on ‘as is’ with some grade 8 washers as spacers? I’m installing one on my 57 210 sedan

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I did a pie cut to allow the forward tab to lay flat as you noted - summary copy below from my build thread, post 246: 2nd Last Chance Nomad

and the slightly modified receiver hitch:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Tread

Note the slightly modified (straightened) forward mount point which now lies flat along the frame, but in my case along the spacer. The 3/4" spacer was necessary to get the crossbar low enough to clear the tank and allow it to be placed forward to hide the receiver a little:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

The end of the receiver is about a 1/2" or so forward of the bumper lip, and is not noticeable when standing behind the car - yet one of the inserts I already have is just perfect to use for my luggage trailer. The 2" (class III) hitch is overkill, but took less work to install than any 1 1/4" (class II) I could find. I'll make a dummy insert that will further hide the hitch. You can just notice the flat-4 wire connector on the bottom of the crosstube...I use a coiled connector wire that plugs in to the trailer and the plug, so no hanging wires anywhere. I don't anticipate needing to use the trailer as much as I do with the '38 since I'll have more room for stuff on short and medium trips, but I want the versatility to pull it on long trips.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Wow there's some really cool stuff here, I especially like the ones where people are pulling vintage-looking trailers behind their cars.

Question: does anyone know what Tri-Fives are rated to pull? I looked around here, then on the internet for any specs but came up empty. None of the Owners or Service manuals seem to have the info. Curious if anyone here has the answer?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts