Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking on this forum for a while and figure it is time to post something on here. I have been working on my 55 2-door post gasser for the last 3 years and it is almost done. I will be putting a lot more pics on here but it has been a process and I will put some start to finish pics of the progress.

I really wanted a gasser I could cruise on the highway and still go to the track and bust out a 9 sec 1/4 mile time. We went a little overboard on the motor but it is a streetable 496 with some crazy dart heads and jesel valvetrain topped with a Weiand 8/71 blower and twin 950 carbs. The motor has all the goodies to take the abuse all day long. My dad and I built the motor. He has been a huge help and is a big and small block chevy GURU (probably builds and dyno tests about 6-10 motors a month and has been building engines for 40 years). The motor on a super tight engine dyno 10% underdriven making under 5lbs of boost on pump gas made 896 hp and that was only taking it to 6500 (it will go to 7000rpm+ easy). We flipped the pulleys and at 9-10lbs and some good gas it made almost 1100hp shutting it down early. The torque was insane! It idles decent and should be able to cruise anywhere I want to go and boy does it sound nasty!!! Plenty of power to be SCARY fast!

The chassis we did uses a Tinney's chromoly front axle, chevy hubs, disk brakes, with Speedway leaves and chrome shocks and my buddy who has a sweet 56 gasser helped me fab all of it up. We did some extra bracing and made it heavy duty knowing that we will be whipping on the car pretty good at times. In the back is one of Jim Meyer's 48" ladder bar setups that they did out of chromoly for me and they also did the braced 9" for me as well. It has adjustable qa1 coilovers on the back as well. Moser aluminum center section with 4.30 gears and 35 splined moser axles and spool. 25 gallon aluminum stock replacement fuel tank and a nice mini tub in the back but I can still run the full back seat.

We are running a custom tko-600 5 speed overdrive trans from MMR that is built to handle the power and a twin disk McCleod clutch setup.

This was supposed to be just a simple gasser but it has gotten a little crazy.
My painter is doing some incredible stuff and it has taken forever but he is great. I keep telling him that I didn't want a metal finish 55 but that is what I have now. These pics are not new ones and I will get new ones on here asap but the car could be metal finished it is that nice. We are going to paint it a candy red color with a stock looking interior with two of the new fat bucket seats that glide has for the trifives along with a 10 point cage. All the 210 trim is going to go inside and outside the car will have the spears and belt trim along with the paint dividers on the quarters.

I am running ET wheels front and rear with M&H slicks in the back and their street legal front runners. I hope that it hooks decent!

There are a lot more details but hopefully it is on the road in October ready to cruise. I will keep you guys posted.

Thank you,

Shawn F.

Attachments

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
Shawn.....What a Sweet 55 :congrats:
Nice work
now I understand why you have not posted in a long time....
you've been too busy creating that beautiful masterpiece
More Photo's ....PLEASE :)

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
W-I-C-K-E-D!!

:sign0016: to TriFive Shawn! The '55 is looking awesome! We definitely want to see more pics as you move along - it would be really cool to get some good audio video when you get it running! Looks like it's going to be tons of fun. :anim_25:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive Shawn... Nice intro story and nice gasser project too... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That is gonna be awesome! Keep postin pics.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Welcome! Your car looks like it will be sweet!!! Are you running a big gas tank? Your gonna need it with that engine, even with the 6-speed.:D Sounds like you have a good plan, hope you get it back from paint soon.

Can't wait to see more pics.

Later,

Mike

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
Looks Great! That's an awsome looking power plant!
Rick

·
Registered
66,301 Posts
:hello: hi shawn and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. very cool 55. :burnout:.........did motor with your dad is so cool. :five:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Dude!

I think you just re-invented the word HOTrod. Very nice set-up.:tu JIM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts