Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to purchase some sheet steel to make some repair patches for my '57 Nomad. I have been cutting repair patches out of an old front fender.

What gage metal should I buy? Should I buy hot rolled or cold rolled? Where are you buying it from? One or two 2' X 4' sheets should do it.

Thank you,

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Most of the body is 19 gauge steel. Thing is, steel distributors don't stock it, and neither does the automotive aftermarket. Some metalworkers and coachbuilders use it - they tend to make group buys.

So the readily available choices are 20 gauge and 18 gauge. 20 gauge is more easily formed, and 18 gauge is more easily welded. So take your choice. Or get a bit of both. There are internet suppliers who sell either one in 2'x4' sheets. metalsdepot.com is one I use.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rick, I believe you will find that the roof and rocker panels are 19ga, and the rest of the outer sheet metal is 20ga.

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
I used to think that too, but I've measured some pieces and they seem to be thick for 20 gauge and thin for 19 gauge. Which makes me think they started with 19 gauge since forming the shape of the panel will tend to stretch it and make it thinner. Former member MP&C, who is a metalworking expert, convinced me of this in a past discussion.

But, I use 20 gauge anyway as most any body panel is thinner than 18 gauge.
It doesn't really matter as most of us have to choose 18 or 20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts