Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has made a sheetmetal cover that goes from the top of the grille to the top of the core support? There is a local guy with one but I wanted to get other ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
Jeff....Seen a lot of them on the cars at the shows.....Looks like a good idea to get the most air funneled into the radiator.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda just like the look of it. It cleans up the front end and hides the fact I don't have a high dollar radiator and core support. I don't have any cooling problems but I guess it will help. Have any pics?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sheet metal cover: from radiator to core support

I did one out of stainless steel sheet metal, on my 57. The only problem is you can't paint Stainless. A local graphics guy took a Chevrolet logo from the first year of Chevrolet advertising and made a template. Roughed up the metal with a small sand blaster and rubbed in the paint It looks better than I'm describing it. If I get to my Storage barn today I'll take a picture. It gives you a cooler ride by funneling the air out of the engine compartment at higher speeds

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Grille to Core support Cover

I have one on my 57. Some of the DACC members have them on their cars. I asked them about the covers a couple of years ago and they told me about the cooling, I liked the way it cleaned up things under the hood so I ordered one from where they got theirs. A fellow out of Kansas makes them and keeps some in stock. Mine was $90. delivered to Tyler, Texas. Did very little trimming for the fit I wanted, it was primmed so painted it, installed it and have been happy about the results :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry, do you have contact information for this person?

Jeff

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
I have one on my 57. Some of the DACC members have them on their cars. I asked them about the covers a couple of years ago and they told me about the cooling, I liked the way it cleaned up things under the hood so I ordered one from where they got theirs. A fellow out of Kansas makes them and keeps some in stock. Mine was $90. delivered to Tyler, Texas. Did very little trimming for the fit I wanted, it was primmed so painted it, installed it and have been happy about the results :)
Larry....Please see if you can get the contact information for that guy.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
I kinda just like the look of it. It cleans up the front end and hides the fact I don't have a high dollar radiator and core support. I don't have any cooling problems but I guess it will help. Have any pics?
Look at chevynut's site.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

Didn't mean to run out on you'll but we go to early church service when home.
Here is contact information on the fellow that makes the cover and I might add this was one fine person to deal with. He is the type fellow you would here about a shand shake was good as he word.

RICHARD BEETON
551 S. WESTFIELD STREET
WICHITA, KS 67209-1560

316-204-5352 CELL
316-721-8809
316-522-8116

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Jeff,

Funny that you mention this.. I was just looking at the photos I took at your house and I was thinking how nice and clean your radiator setup looks.

Not too plain and not too bling-bling...just right.

I do like the idea of the functionality of the cover, but I think the only way yours could possibly look any better is with a matching condensor.

Just my opinion.......

·
Registered
164 Posts
Doesn't the hood support come down to the top of the radiator support?

If so, I would think that would be an air **** and perform the same function as the added sheet metal you guys are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

Didn't mean to run out on you'll but we go to early church service when home.
Here is contact information on the fellow that makes the cover and I might add this was one fine person to deal with. He is the type fellow you would here about a shand shake was good as he word.

RICHARD BEETON
551 S. WESTFIELD STREET
WICHITA, KS 67209-1560

316-204-5352 CELL
316-721-8809
316-522-8116
The folks that had already been using this cover said they had experienced a 10 degree temp drop on the highway. My highway temp runs 180 -182 so that's when my thermostat opens so I can't get any cooler on the highway. My in town temp has decreased since putting the cover on so I am thinking it helped direct the air flow better across the radiator.

·
12,256 Posts
Here's mine, and I have it on a custom radiator support using a custom PRC radiator.

Without air intake for Ramjet:

With air intake:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Mr. Beeton still makes these panels. I spoke with him this morning. However, on my 55, because the radiator is in FRONT of the core support, it does not allow enough room for this panel. Good idea and I think it looks great. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts