Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have the auto shift column ready to replace the standard shift column. I will need to change the speedometer in order to have a shift indicator in it. I have a later model powerglide transmission with a shift pattern (I think) of PRNDL. Can't seem to find a replacement indicator with that pattern. Closest is PRND L2 L1.

Any one out there seen a PRNDL shift indicator?? :banghead:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I will need to change the speedometer in order to have a shift indicator in it.
NO!!

All you need to do it remove your's, bend the little tangs that hold the indicator in place and then bend them back over again.

Oh. Come to think of it. If you have a true manual shift speedometer you will need the piece that indicator is held on to the speedo head with.

I removed more then one indicator to make the speedometer look like a manual is how I know.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys Thanks for the response.

Carls 56

PNDLR is what is on the 57 powerglide -- mine is an early 60's powerglide and when I shift it it goes from park to reverse, to neutral, to drive, to low. It is presently being shifted by the manual shifty column, so I don't know if it goes to another low position, but I think that it isonly a 2 speed powerglide. I do need to install an automatic speedometer which I have now and it has th PNDLR for the 57 shift indicator, not PRNDL.

rj57

The speedometer for a standard shift transmission has no provision for mounting a shift indicator. I do need to install an automatic speedometer which I have now and it has th PNDLR for the 57 shift indicator, not PRNDL.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Some of my friends have installed manual indicators as we have come across the same problem. Now you just have to remeber where your new gears are located as it is just down to guess work and lots of cruisin to get use to it. Would really love to know the solution to this one as well.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts
Bill....I've looked in several catalogs and have not seen what you're looking for.....Most likely you'll have to use the one for a 350 or fabricate your own from plexiglass.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you. :congrats::congrats::congrats:

Looks like I'll have to fab one. If I can come with a good looking unit, I'll post a drawing for it.

By the way, I have a CAD system and can make drawings from your sketches if you like -- just a thought.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts
Good luck Bill....Will be interested in seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
So if I got this right the order on the early powerglides is:
Park
Nuetral
Drive
Low
RACE!

:sign0020:
Should be easy to etch some plexi and make your own indicator...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Help with shift indicator install

I recently pulled the cluster out to lube speedometer and install a trans shift indicator. The back of the speedo head doesn't have a hole for the indicator mechanism to mount to. The car was a 283 and power glide from factory. I don't think the speedo head has ever been replaced but not sure. There is a opening on the gauge for the indicator lens. Does anyone know if I'll need to find an automatic speedo or can I modify the one I have to accept the indicator?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts