Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a RHD question, but wanted to focus on stock located in Australia.

What is a good shock absorber brand/model for use in a stock set-up?

And who might have them available?

Car has that typical 'lounge' sort of ride, but does bottom out occasionally on the open road when loaded with people.

And forgive me if I have asked this before ... I thought I had, but just cannot locate the post/thread. :p

·
Registered
67,095 Posts
used Monroe's on a 55 I had. they were just great for the money.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I've used a lot of Monroe shocks also. They were bought out a few years back, so last shocks I got came in an odd brand box. I asked the seller why he sold me something else when I gave him a Monroe number, and he told me the company was the same, just ne ownership. I think it was something like Teneco? It's a Tennessee Oil Co. that has expended into auto parts.
But most shocks wont totally eliminate bottoming out with heavier loads. It will help a small amount, just wont stop it, unless they are overload shocks, or air shocks.

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But most shocks wont totally eliminate bottoming out with heavier loads. It will help a small amount, just wont stop it, unless they are overload shocks, or air shocks.
It was the extra weight in the car that was doing it – four guys out for lunch in the country! I did the same drive solo the next day and there was no bottoming out. :p But it is all spongy, so when it bounces it keeps bouncing ... feels a bit like airplane turbulence, if you can picture that?

But generally it is all too lounge-like.

Interestingly, I called the US parts place here (Australia) and they asked if the car had been lowered. I said yes, 1.5" in the rear. They then said I should go to a suspension place and have the travel measured so I get the right lengths ... otherwise standard fits will wear too quickly. (I guess they have a range within which they like to sit for most of the ride?)

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pedders have adjustable Koni's at a reasonable cost. They are quite negotiable on price, I paid $220.00 a pair for memory three years ago. You can adjust from plush to very firm, but you have to remove them to adjust.

They are also available on ebay, albeit at higher cost; CHEVROLET 55 56 57 KONI ADJUSTABLE FRONT SHOCKS ABSORBERS | eBay
I'll check these out.

Edit: Just called the suspension shop I have been to before and they recommended the Koni shocks – adjustable and serviceable. Expensive, though! (The Ebay price is better.)

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,825 Posts
FYI GM designed the ride to be just as you described. Kinda like a floating cloud going down the road. Many yeas ago I had a customer come into my shop that said his shocks were 2 stiff. I think they
were Gabriel. I told him that is the wrong shock for his 57 2 dr hardtop. I told him I had a set of NOS Delco's if he wanted them. His reaction was rather loud and profane. I just told him I would install them
for him and let him have them over the weekend to try out. If he liked them there was a price he owed me. If he didn't like them no money changed hands and I would swap them back out. Monday comes
and he came by to pay me. He loved the ride. When he sold the car, he kept the Delcos and I installed them on his restored 57 convertible some years later.

Mikey.

Reactions: johnonetrillion

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda like a floating cloud going down the road.
The old style repro spiral shocks in my 57 are just great. Perhaps I should be asking what a modern brand equivalent of those might be? (Can't order from the US ... too much in the shipping.)

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,187 Posts
I like Gabriel stock replacement shocks. First put them in the front of my van and they worked so well that I put them on all 4 of the 55.
The lowered car doesn't normally cause a problem... unless you load it up with 4 guys like you do.

GABRIEL 82099 (Original Ride Quality) CLASSIC Front
GABRIEL 82066 (Original Ride Quality) CLASSIC Rear

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard to reconcile the differences in cost: The Gabriel classics I can buy for just over $200 a full set – while the Pedders and Koni brands are at least three times that. Hmmm.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,187 Posts
Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you get more, sometimes you get ripped off.

That didn't make things any easier did it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try rock auto or summit. It’s a shame but I usually find its cheaper to buy offshore even after you pay shipping. I’ll usually have it within a week or two as well.
I try to support Aussie business but when you can buy so much cheaper overseas and delivered to your door its hard to justify.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,726 Posts
Hard to reconcile the differences in cost: The Gabriel classics I can buy for just over $200 a full set – while the Pedders and Koni brands are at least three times that. Hmmm.
Hi John, I have been through this when I imported some Gabriels for the Star Chief from the US a couple of years ago which cost around US$100 for the four. A big issue with them was that the freight company initially wasn't going to air freight them as they were gas shocks and supposedly were prohibited items from flying. After a lot of pushing and shoving, they accepted a spec. sheet from the manufacturer, and shipped them.

I found the shocks gave a lovely ride with just my wife and myself in the car, but as soon as somebody was in the back the car thumped when hitting bumps. I then investigated alternatives such as adjustable and load leveler shocks, but the cost put me off.

As we drive 90% of the time with just two up, I have accepted it and just enjoy the plush ride.

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or if you like Bilstein (my preference); BILSTEIN SHOCK ABSORBER SET,FRONT & REAR SHOCKS,55-57 CHEVY,TRI-5,46MM MONOTUBE | eBay

Or the same items purchased through Summit, US$485.32 to your door.
I did some research on local preferences and these come at the top of the list. Then Koni. Lower down the scale is Monroe followed by Gabriel. Am getting a better sense of this now.

My mechanic this morning recommended the Monroes ... and described my ride issue as 'porpoising'!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts