Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how to go about. shorting a axl housing & what must i do to get shorter axles. THANKS MEL:mad:

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Mel
If you need to shorten a housing, start by looking for some one who dose that type of work often. Don't settle for the guy who thinks he can do it for you, Now when it comes to axle depending apon how much you shrten your housing wether or not you want to get involved in having the axles cut and resplined or not. My choice is to give Moser engineering a call and they can get you the correct size axles with some simple information from you or the fellow that narrowed your housing.
To try to do this your self is a bit expensive and takes equipment that would be darn near the cost of a complete rear. Good luck and keep us up to date on your venture. :)
http://www.moserengineering.com/index.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree.. get someone that has experience to shorten the axle. They set up a jig goes through the housing and bolts in place to get it straight. I just had mine shortened and pinion centered. The guy used a jig and built to the length I requested and then I called moser and ordered new axles.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Shorter rears!

I went down to a local metal machine shop and bought a 6' X 2" "tool Bar". It is a bar that is perfectly straight. Next you need a center section out of a junk rear end, the same as the one you are narrowing. Take the bearings (2) out of center section and make slugs with a 2" I/D and an O/D of what the center barrings are. Next make slugs of the axle bearrings with an I/D of 2" and an O/D of what the axle bearings are. Cut your flanges off a little behind the weld, put in a lathe and square up. Next cut off your housing to the desired lenths and square up the best you can. Now with center section put your slugs in and run your tool bar threw slugs tighten saddle bearing bolts, tighten center section bolts to speck with gasket in place. Slide axel flanges with slugs onto tool bar and snug up to housing tubes and weld. Leave in jig till cool. Don't forget to weld any brakets on housing at this time also. Somtimes you can get away with cutting one side only and put in 2 short axles as most rears have one short axel and one long axle. You can also play with centering or not centering the drive shaft. Remember to measure twice! I used to shorten my own axels but I recommened buying them now. This is the jist of it, hope that helps, Lon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts