Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so my car is a 57 2dr hardtop. The motor is a 327 bored .60 over about 9.5.1 cam is a compcams XE268H match lifters hardend push rods and a set of 1.5 roller rockers. Heads are edlbrock performer RPM It's got a procomp air gap dual plane intake summit 600CFM carb with vacume seconderys procomp ignition with 6AL box and coil bought as compleat kit with the 10.5 wires plugs are champion 12YC. procomp fuel pump. gauge reads 6.5pounds B&M alum water pump radradiator three core alum radiator headmen headers (full length) 2.5 inch dual exaust with H pipe and trush turbo mufflers. I have an M21four speed with an original posi rear end 3.55 gears. I've heard a 750CFM carb would work better the only problem I've ever had is when driving highway speed 3,000 plus RPM I have what almost feels like a short cut out?! It did the same thing to me before the carb and ignition so I've kinda ruled those out it also had a holley blue electric fuel pump so I put the mecanical pump on but no differance. My carb before this one was a holley 650 double pumper so am I just not feeding this thing enough gas? Full throttle this car will burn the tire's into every gear so she runs great it's just steady cruising at around an over 3,000RPM. Love to hear from you guys thanks!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
CUT OUT

Is the fuel filter ok?Its just a thought or it may be in the ignition but that may be wrong to wheres its all nice stuff.I ran into this somewhat with my '55 with a 327 and the fuel filter wasnt that great and replaced it and it did make a difference.I also had a power problem at the HEI that turned out to be not enough power going to the HEI.Even at that I havent quite figured my miss out yet.Good luck with your car.
GREG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried that

I replaced the carb the ignition the fuel sytem filter and all plugs wire's everything just don't see what it could be.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
When you say short cut out at cruise is it a couple of seconds or does it feel like a momentary drag then picks back up ? If its the latter it sounds like you may be too lean at that rpm and the engine will surge. If thats the case try going a little richer on the primary jets and see if it helps. a 600-650 is plenty of carb for that 327, you may pick up a few hp on the top end with a 750 but at cruise it should not matter if the carbs are set up properly

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea it's so sort you can't count the time and it only seems to do it when I hold it steady. it's a real quick glitch so alittle richer huh I'll give it a try when I get home thanks!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts