Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rechromed bumpers, should I paint the backside with Rustoleum?

What color flat black or silver?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
There is no need to paint the back side of the bumper because it was plated just like the front. It was just not polished like the front. All the same protection as on the front.
Jim

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I have re chromed bumpers, should I paint the backside with Rustoleum?

What color flat black or silver?
Why not:questionmark: When I had my bumpers re chromed I took them to a place called "Steel Seal" that sprayed the back sides of the bumpers and guards to prevent rust... Steal Seal is kind of a satin black product that reminds me of spray on pickup truck bed liner... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Yes, I painted mine with POR-15, why take the chance of possible rust in the future. Used a cheap 'throw-away' brush, turns out smooth and hard as nails.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
I have some NOS bumper sections, bumperettes and accessory guards that came with what looks like a flat silver on the back side. It can't hurt thats for sure. :tu

-Bruce

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Rechromed bumpers are a little rough on the backside, Like others I painted mine with a silver rustoleum for a little "insurance" against rust. Dave

68,758 Posts
can't hurt them, extra protection is good thing. rustoleum (for the money) is a good choice. :tu

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Rechromed bumpers are a little rough on the backside, Like others I painted mine with a silver rustoleum for a little "insurance" against rust. Dave
I`m with Dave on this one.
Terry

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
As far as them being plated on the back and just not buffed out like the front, you will be polishing the outside, but will you be taking them off to polish the back every so often? I don't think so. I'd coat the back with something. Here in Indiana you can see almost new Chevy and Ford pickup trucks with beautiful rear bumpers and then all of a sudden you see rust hole poke through from the back side. Non of them rusting from the side you can see. When I rechrome mine, I will put some kind of rust proof coating on the back before their installed for sure.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I used Rust Bullet on the backs of mine. It didn't look like they did a very good job of chroming the backs like they did the fronts. Of course that was 30 years ago and they looked rusty on the back now.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Same here.

Even though they're plated they like to rust. And we all know the back side of them rarely get cleaned.

I painted mine. Black and silver.

Personally, I like the silver better.

7,082 Posts
I'm with RJ57 all the way on this one. Lloyd

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I painted mine silver and anything else that is chromed as well before I put it on.
I was told to do this once when I had something rechromed and have done it ever since. Just mask up and paint.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
paint

I'm a numbers matching/100%correct type of guy...so i will be painting my inner bumpers with correct flat silver color. All NOS bumpers came like that from factory and some even had a number with some letters stamped in black! Notsure what they stood for, but might just be a inventory number. No one will ever look behind there but, that's how i'm doing it. Might even try to smooth out the inner fender after rechroming cuz they are ruff. I'm not close to that point yet, but will be using a good type of paint that will hold. Daniel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts