Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the pan off the 700r4 and have changed the filter and 4th gear pressure switch. I'm ready to put the pan back on and I have a thin 1 piece black rubber gasket. Should I permatex both sides of it when I install or no sealant at all?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
No sealant at all. Permatex makes a copper spray adhesive you can spray on your gasket and pan that will hold your gasket in place. Which is a good product. But I don't recommend a silicone type of sealer.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Take a look at the bolt holes in the pan, and if they show signs of being over tightened straiten them out. And be careful not to over tighten the bolts. As far as sealer, no.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There is no transmission shop in my area or me that would even use your trans as a core it would be tossed in the the metal pile if anyone saw silicon used on the pan gasket around here.

·
Registered
36,133 Posts
I'm not so sure silicone is that bad. If using RTV, put it on the pan side. The key thing is to use a good gasket. You need a thick rubber one, or a cork/rubber gasket. A thin rubber gasket or a thin plain cork gasket is too easy to distort. You need to straighten the dimples caused by previous overtightening. Then use a torque wrench to tighten the gasket. Good gaskets have either all or at least nearly half the holes undersize so that the when you put a bolt through the gasket it stays there. Helps you get everything started.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts