Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am having cooling problems. I have a 57 4 door hardtop with a 350 installed.
I have a 170 degree thermostat, a desert cooler radiator installed in the 6 cylinder position. A mechanical clutch fan is installed as well as a 14 inch pusher electric fan on the front of the radiator that comes on with the compressor. I have also a 7 lb. pressure cap. I have been told that a higher pressure cap may help.
Timing is Ok. I guess I need a shroud.
Lots of shrouds out there. Recommendations?
John

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I highly recommend a shroud. I've said in past posts, you can not go wrong with a shroud. I purchased one from Danchuk (metal). There are many suppliers. Remember to totally fill all surrounding gaps around the shroud so air is forced THRU the fins and not thru the gaps. You may have to modify a shroud somewhat for that perfect fit. It will only be as efficient as you make it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
increasing the pressure on the cap is a last resort. A higher pressure will increase the boiling temp of your coolant which can be a good thing. It can also cause a 55 year old heater core to spring a leak!

Adding the shroud is a good idea. I run the plastic one. It is easy to modify to get the perfect fit, can be painted (if you wish) and is probably lower cost than the Eckler's metal one. Oh and it works just as well! I also added a coolant recovery can.

Don

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,913 Posts
In addition to a shroud you may need to get rid of the clutch type fan. Is the fan clutch heat controlled or speed controlled? Heat controlled, if it is working properly should be OK, get rid of the speed controlled type.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
Dave I thought about the aluminum one but I have so much bling under the hood that the black shroud just looked better to me....a little armour all and she shined up great.....:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
Dave I thought about the aluminum one but I have so much bling under the hood that the black shroud just looked better to me....a little armour all and she shined up great.....:sign0020::gba:bowtie-trifive
Makes sense to me Mickey.....Your underhood is gorgeous :):tu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.