Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT SIZE ANGLE IRON THEY USED ON THESE? LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BUILD ONE.

JUST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD I'M FIGURING 3/16 " THICK X 1 1/4 OR 1 1/2"
AMI ON THE RIGHT TRACK?

DOES ANY ONE SELL THESE? DOES ANY ONE KNOW VENDER THAT BUILDS THESE?

ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
65,630 Posts
i will move this back to top for you. :anim_25:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
100percentchevy are you saying you have several sidemount tire carriers ?

if so would you consider selling one ? if so what would you sell one for.?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
100%chevy I do believe the beds ran from 55 -60's mine is a short bed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
100%chevy that would be great. I'd be willing to pay for shipping and give you a fair price. let me know what you come up with.

I do believe there was a difference in the long and short bed tire mounts.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have 2 of them.
Both have some rust,the worst being on the studs that hold the wheel on.
Small angle that depends on the bedside for support.Most of the mounting bolts are going to need cutting to remove.
Will take some time to get one off the truck!
Yes,the long beds are are different,so is the fender.
Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
COOL MIKE WHEN YOU GET THEM OFF SEND ME A PM AND WILL PAY FAIR PRICE AND SHIPPING. JUST LET ME KNOW.IF THE BOLTS ARE WASTED THATS FINE I CAN GET NEW ONES. I ASSUME THEY PAINTED THESE WHATEVER THE COLOR OF THE TRUCK WAS OR BLACK?

PS I HAVE THE CHANNEL IRON THAT GOES ON BOTTOM TO THE INSIDE UNDER BED SIDE.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I looked thru the pics you have here on Tri-Five.
Looks like the truck is an early 55.It has the older generation style fenders on it ( I'm assuming since they don't appear in the pics)going by the cab style.
The new design 55 has a new cab/bed and that is what my parts would be used on.
You might want to do some research before buying these parts from me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THE RESEARCH I'VE DONE LOOKS LIKE THE DIFFERANCE WOULD BE THE MOUNTING HOLE DIMENTION. THE MOUNTING HOLES I HAVE ARE 10.44 CENTERS THATS THE WIDTH OF THE HOLE CENTERS. THERE IS ANOTHER DRAWING SHOWING LIKE A 12.NOT SURE OF THE REST.

THE ONE I NEED WOULD BE HAVE 17 7/8" HOLE CENTERS TOP TO BOTTOM ON THE BED SIDE. THIS IS NOT MEASURING FROM THE TOP OF THE BED RAIL BUT THE HOLE CENTERS ON THE SIDE. AND HOLE CENTERS FROM SIDE TO SIDE WOULD BE 10.44 .

IF THESE DO NOT MATCH I COULD NOT USE IT.

IN CASE I CAN'T USE IT WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE ANGLES AND RODS. I MAY HAVE TO FAB ONE YET.

MY DRAWING IS DATED 6-30-53. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT MY TRUCK IT IS A 55 1ST SERIES AND THEY CHANGED DESIGN IN MARCH OF 55. TO THE BIG WINDOW DESIGN.

EVEN IF I CAN'T USE IT THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORT. I ALREADY HAVE THE FENDER WITH THE RECESS FOR SPARE SO TO MAKE IT LOOK RIGHT I REALLY NEED TO GET A MOUNT ON IT TO MAKE IT LOOK RIGHT.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I'll get some measurements for you sometime today.
O.K.,I have different numbers from yours'.
The width center to center of the bolts is 12-7/8".The height is 18" center to center of the bolts.
The angle is 1-1/4" (w and h) x 1/8" thick.Total length is 19-7/8".
I forgot to measure the rods.Looked like 3/8. I'll get them in a while and post.
The rods are 1/2".The ends for the bolts are stamped flat and drilled.Then bent in the direction needed for connection.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
100%CHEVY THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR EFFORT. I WILL GET SOME 1/8" X 1 1/4 ANGLE AND SOME 1/2" ROD AND FABRICATE ME A CARRIER. tHANKS AGAIN.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WELL I ENDED UP ORDERING 3/16 X 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 ANGLE. I AM GETTING 1/4 " PIPE SCHEDULE 80 (THICKER WALL). I WILL FAB THIS UP WHEN MATERIAL COMES IN. I WILL POST PICS AFTER DONE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Long bed tire mount

I looked thru the pics you have here on Tri-Five.
Looks like the truck is an early 55.It has the older generation style fenders on it ( I'm assuming since they don't appear in the pics)going by the cab style.
The new design 55 has a new cab/bed and that is what my parts would be used on.
You might want to do some research before buying these parts from me.
I would be interested in the one for the 3200 long bed. I have a 57 long bed 3200 and I cant find one anywhere.

Thanks
Kyle

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Kyle,the one I have is on a 66 Chevy 1/2 ton long step-side.
They are hard to find !
It sits lower on the bed side and is very different than the short bed.The fender is very different too. The cut-out for the tire is lower and more forward than the short bed.
I'll look at it tomorrow to see if it's worth using.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will post pictures and document the particulars so if any one else wants to build one. right now waiting on steel and will start when it gets here.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
These photos might help you.

I replaced the studs with new ones:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts