Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1957 2-door 150. Preparing for paint, I spent 5 hours just removing the side trim. Part of the problem I encountered was because I didn't know how it was attached. Doing one side made it quicker, but not easier, to do the other side. I can not imagine how Fisher Body did this; they had to have attached it before the fender was attached to the car. Every clip had a threaded stud and there are 15 on each side, mostly only accessable by feel as they're hidden behind interior panels. I've got cuts and bruises on both arms from the contortions I had to go through to get all the nuts off.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone will tell me that it's perfectly okay to use push-in clips when I put the trim back on. Or are the threaded clips the only way to do it? Or, at least bolt-ons where easily accessable and push-ons at the hidden locations. How have others done it?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I feel your pain I think the best way to go is to take all the inside panels off the interior doors and maybe get a schematic to show all the clips etc. There always seems to be one clip or bolt that is hidden.
Peter

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I installed my side molding. The new clips I purchased has the push in clips for the area that is accessible only with the fender off. I have a 55. Maybe the 57 will have the push in clips where needed. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I think the general rule is to use push in clips in areas where you can't get to easily later after everything is back together. They don't hold the stainless tight so I would not use them everywhere.
I have a 57 4 door hardtop. I know that the clips in the rear portion of the fenders are inaccessible unless you take off the fender. The rear fin area stainless can be reached from under the car so I have threaded clips there. The doors are also easy to get to by removing the door interior covers.
John

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that on my 2-door 150 there were four clips at the rear of the long side trim. These were accessable by reaching up behind the taillight and between the fender and the trunk side panel. Then there were two clips in the rear wheel well (had to remove the tire to reach those). Next were four clips in the rear side window well, accessible by removing the rear interior side panel, which necessitated removing the rear seat, which could only be removed after removing the front seat. The vertical paint divider with three clips was in the same area. The short door spear was easiest with one clip behind the interior door panel and the easiest one of all at the inner edge of the door.

This all was why, what I expected to take about a half hour, was a five hour job.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I installed my side molding. The new clips I purchased has the push in clips for the area that is accessible only with the fender off. I have a 55. Maybe the 57 will have the push in clips where needed. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

This is the way the PO did so it was very easy for me.....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts