Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have painted the dash of my car with single stage polyurethane. I would like to know if it is possible to sand it with 2000 grit and then hand sand it?
Anyone have a suggestion? The paint has some minor flaws. Thanks for any replies. bowtie-trifive :gba:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Is it a metallic? If not then no problem.

If it is a metallic, it's probably better to lightly sand it and apply another coat.
However, you could try sanding and buffing it and if you didn't like your results, you can always sand it and apply another coat.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is metallic. Thanks.bowtie-trifive:gba:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
My car is a metallic single stage and the guy I bought it from shot it on so dry he had to color sand and buff it. It actually looks OK. The color sanding did not seem to hurt the way the metal particles appeared. It certainly is not a show quality paint job, but it looks OK.

Wayne

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
Sometimes the metallic particles lay a different way in different coats. Also the same can happen when sprayed erratically (as in dry some places, wet or almost runs in others). So you see "stuff" when you color sand when these things occurred. With BC/CC it's easier to avoid the spraying mistakes.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. There is not much to paint on the dash thank goodness. I am just going to redo it. I have always maintained " you can`t beat a man at his own trade." Painting is a skill of its own. With me its like a box of chocolate. :sign0020: bowtie-trifive :gba:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts