Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,046 Posts
Thanks to everyone for youe help. I located a 2011 Tahoe driveshaft with the correct slip yoke for $75. Now to the shop to be shortened, u-joints replaced and balanced.

How big is the diameter of that shaft?? Trifives have a narrow tunnel and a shaft bigger than 3" in diameter is problematic, especially if the car is lowered at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, I need to “fess up”. This is not for the ’57. I’m building a ’53 5-window Chevy pick-up, but I knew this is the most active and helpful LS swap forum around. The transmission/driveshaft may have been a bit far afield.

But now that I have you, a couple of transmission questions. When I bought the engine/transmission pair, the fluids were obviously drained. First, does the seal at the end of the tail shaft (along with the slip yoke) hold back the trans. fluid? That is, can I fill the transmission without the slip yoke in place? Also, should I change the seal while I’m there, just because?

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
fill it only if you want a mess on the ground actually you could possibly poor 3-4 quarts in without it running out depending how much the pan holds it would help to jack the rear of the (truck) up higher than the front but you'll be better to wait till the driveshaft in it. You can knock the rear seal out easy enough & replace it with a new one or wait till it's on the road then replace if it leaks only takes a few min. to pull the shaft back out.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts