Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Everyone,

I have been lurking for some weeks as I'm off work recovering from surgery.

Twenty years ago my wife saw this car (see my garage for photos) in someone's front yard, with a "For Sale" sign in the windshield. It was road worthy with a 305, 4 speed and drove out very nice, for 50's technology. $2000 and we drove it home. We drove it fairly often for a year or so, deciding what kind of restore and if the car was worth it. We came to love the car and my wife wanted it restored with updated drive-ability and comfort. She had forgotten what a PIA manual steering and brakes are, not to mention no AC. In Lower Alabama, air conditioning is mandatory for 40-somethings cruisin' to the beach, the races, etc..

My mechanic skills were rusty and without all the tools (and confidence) needed, we narrowed our decision down to two choices ... shops that would require large cash outlays, but finish fairly quickly or hobbyists friends working on "pay as you go" with me doing what I could to help. We choose a friend.

Everything was going fine with the car at our friend's home shop ... No "frame-off", just tear down the front end for engine and running gear upgrades and continue once that was completed.

The downhill part started ... our friend passed away suddenly! After we recovered from this shock, we brought the car home on a rollback and two pickup trucks full of parts. I put the body on blocks, under canvas and the rest in the shed. Life gets in the way and the car sits for 17 years! Our interest in the car was gone with our friend's passing.

I had surgery early last year with a 5 month recovery and I began "tinkering" on the car as a therapy, so to speak. The interest was returning. I, with help from friends, got the front running gear "patched" on and moved the car to it's present spot.

Late last year I found a 56 stripped frame, a 55 fiberglass front clip and trunk lid for sale, cheap. $300 and we were on our way home with a full trailer. The excitement's back!

Over the years I've stocked my 2.5 bay shop with all the tools required and sharpened skills needed for a job like this. There are still many skills and knowledge I hope to glean from this group. I hope I can contribute something in return.

Wheeoui, long winded, I know, but that's the car's history of the last 20 years!

SloPoke
a.k.a Bill
BTW, I am so very thankful the technology exists to treat arthritic spinal stenosis.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive Bill from another 56 owner:shakehands: :anim_25:with the project... Later, Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
Welcome to the site Bill.....Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
:sign0016: to Trifive Bill. Glad you joined us. Good luck with your '56. Sorry to hear that about the loss of your friend... but I'm sure he happy that you have decided to continue the build of your '56.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well welcome aboard! hope to hear you and the ole girl progress well! There is a bound of information here so dont worry about rusty skills. Good luck and dont over do it with your recovery! Take care and keep us posted!!:bowtieb:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome from sunny Florida Bill:sign0016: Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. Glad the surgery went well though. Keep us posted on your project and let me know if I can help at all. If you live in LA (lower Alabama), you can't be too far from me in Gulf Breeze!:anim_25: JIM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, here's a pic of our "Goal" look, minus the scoop ... clean, minimalist with a 'Pro-Stock' stance. We hope to have the car 'presentable' for next year's Crusin' the Coast, in October.

I use 'our/we' because Mrs. SloPoke is in charge of interior design, creature comforts, driveability, final detailing (hee, hee, hee, she gets to rub out the paint), outside labor (getting our 2 grown sons to help out the 'ole man') and the all important 'Director of Finance'.

SloPoke

68,758 Posts
:hello: hi bill and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. very cool to have the bride and you involved together (she's a keeper for sure :tu). ................get better soon. :five:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.