Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys grow up doing this? We used to have a shop in our town that was dedicated solely to slot-car racing. It had a scaled-down 1/4 mile drag strip where guys could "modify" their slot-cars to run faster. The cars ran on 12 and/or 24 volts. I got in trouble one day for installing a small Estes Rocket engine in mine (which are ignited with small voltage). The car ran the quarter in about .05 seconds, but it filled the place up with smoke. One of my fondest childhood memories...:D. JIM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Yes I did (do). There is a club in my area that still races on a regular basis.
Its mostly in the winter months and we race all scales. 1/24, 1/32 and H.O.
Years ago we had a place called PIT STOP with the drag strip. The voltage was adjustable from 12 all the way up to 36. Put your car on the track, drop in your nickel and watch her fly:eek:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I never had slot cars as a kid but my younger brother and I had a HO train set... One day out of bordom I deceided to make a few modifacations to the locomotive... It was a switch engine called the "Little Hustler" I chopped the top, glued big chrome headers to either side the "hood" and then the crowning glory was the flame decals I stuck on it... Neither my Dad or brother were impressed by my new creation... Now that I think about it, it was a dumb thing to do... Live & learn... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Had a lot of fun with slot cars. Small brass tube frames, Clear plastic body's painted from the inside. We used to pull the motors apart remove some of the wire from the armature and balance it on two double edge razor blades. There was a place near where I lived called Tom Thumbs it had oval and drags tracks. Remember the third wire on your control for the brake and how hot it would get in a long race. Memories are so sweet

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
Boy does this thread bring back memories....Had a Strombecker set myself....I believe it was 1/24" scale.....Always liked the larger scale for some reason.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Boy does this thread bring back memories....Had a Strombecker set myself....I believe it was 1/24" scale.....Always liked the larger scale for some reason.

Me too....had lots of HO stuff {remember the oversize sponge type rear slicks you could pick up at the local hobby shop} I also had what I think was a 1/32 ? scale set ......came with a late 67 or 68 gold Cougar and a red AMX.....man those were the days for sure !....:ridinghorse:

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I remember my dad bringing me to a place that had a 4-6 car track in the late 60's. Not sure what the scale was but it seems the cars were about 6-8 inches long. They were fast to a 8-9 year old.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
In the mid sixties I had built a few cars, even still have my Cox controller. It was expensive for us to go racing at the time, seventy five cents a half hour I think. There is a track believe it or not that opened this spring, in the shopping center near here. He even has benches for kids to build cars, and he helps them where needed. I still have my HO scale Aurora set BTW.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
We had a small set in our basement, I still have my 55 (somewhere)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Auggie 56 I remember the cox controller it was top of the line. I had a cheetah tran-am car and a 41 willys gasser. The willys had the slot arm setup so you could lift the front wheels and continue on down the track. We would clean the rear tires with lighter fluid it made them real sticky. I remember one time on our track at home we got a little carried away with the lighter fluid doing burnouts. And a spark from the brushes caught the old track on fire. Today thay properly would have my parents arrested for child endangerment.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I raced 1/32 and 1/24 scale slot cars from '66 to '80 almost professionally, it was great fun travelling to all the National events and I regret giving my stuff away now tremendously. I made my own frames and did my own 16D and 13UO Mabuchi motor rewinding until the Mura motors came along. I believe that there is still some "basement" tracks going privately, but no official clubs and commercial tracks like there used to be. I think I even had a 57 Chevrolet if I remember right.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I raced 1/32 and 1/24 scale slot cars from '66 to '80 almost professionally, it was great fun travelling to all the National events and I regret giving my stuff away now tremendously. I made my own frames and did my own 16D and 13UO Mabuchi motor rewinding until the Mura motors came along. I believe that there is still some "basement" tracks going privately, but no official clubs and commercial tracks like there used to be. I think I even had a 57 Chevrolet if I remember right.

Sounds like a lot of fun Thumper...:tu

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
No slots

Didn't ever have any slot cars myself by the mid-60s I was already helping build a modified car. An old square tube built in Texas. Sping front end cross torsion on the rear with CAE Roadster quick change 327 limit engines with 2 barrel carb solid lifter cam stock rockers and rods f.i. heads In 1969 we won 14 of 17 races including 9 in a row . We didn't start racing until July 4 .Owner thoght other drivers were to squirelly at start of year. Of course late starters had to start last for the first 4 weeks they raced so basicly we always started last as by the time the 4 weeks were up we were up we were leading in points so we still had to start last.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
In the early 60's I worked for Federal Stamping in N. Hollywood Calif and we made slot car frames among other things. We would make thousands of them at a time. Never did get in to them.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I must have missed this entire phenomena. In the early 60's I was sniffing glue, and drinking, under age, in San Diego and by the mid 60's I was patching up casualties of the Vietnam war, stationed on Guam. We were working 16-24 hours a day.
By the 70's I was raising a family.
Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Growing up in Southern California, the San Fernando Valley to be exact. In the mid 60s there were tracks all over. We used 6 volt Tyco motors on 12 volt tracks very fast, did not last very long. I remember re-winding the motors once a week. Had a blast and for the most part kept us out of trouble. I think I still have 2 cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts