Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am getting ready to swap a 468 into the 55 wagon which currently has a 406 sbc in it. Does anyone have any idea what headers, motor mounts,etc to use? I know I have to make some ac brackets, but other than that I have not done an engine conversion on a 55.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I am sure the guys will give the corect info soon for a 55, but here's what I know it takes on a 57. to goto a big block.

You should convert to side motor mounts , they sell them at danchuck or my friend Frank at chevychevy.com fixed me up with this pair , they are made to send your big block 1 inch forward to clear the firewall.

Next I changed to a Turbo 400 automatic transmission, so Frank got me a rear cross member kit.

Lastly, I need a bigger radiator for cooling, so I ordered the 4 core desert radiaotro with polished top

Lastly I ordered a special set of headers that would clear my rack and pinion steering system, So I had frank order me a set of sanderson ceramic coated block hugger headers designed for the 57 with a big block, plus these headers are supposed to make your engine run 15 degrees cooler.

I hope this helps

Otis / Trifive

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help!

Thats some good information. I do not have a rack, but a 605 steering box. I wonder if those Sandersons will clear it?

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
goto sandersonheaders.com they have them special for 605 steering etc. yes they will clear

Te headers i have are much prettier than the photo they are ceramic coated looks like chrome coated.

I paid 620.00 for my set they are worth every penny, like i said they also have lower price headers that will work fine.

The best thing to do is call their toll free 800 number

They have the standard hugger headers to for a lower price, but these are cast iron ceramic coated so they should last a lifetime, unlike most headers that ruct off faster.

Otis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sanderson's Headers

They are steering you the right way on Sanderson's Headers. The company is great to work with. I changed out 4 different sets until I got the right one for my 57 Chev (BB 427). The car runs great and now looks great with the headers....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a no-brainer there!

Those Sandersons are awesome. There is no reason to even look anywhere else. When she gets out of the shop, the 496 will be ready. Too bad I picked a guy that cant get a paint job done. Its been in the shop going on 6 months now. He has had it longer than I have! I'll post some picks once I get it back, it's in the gallery now, but we are doing some real fire and some other graphics on the back windows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts