Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a small block (283) in my '57 and want to gain some knowledge about trouble shooting engine problems or making minor repairs. I'm just mechanical enough to be dangerous so I'm not real capable in this area but I'd like to learn. What are some good books or manuals to read that might be helpful to me? For example, I'd like to know more about the electrical system of the engine, carberation or about timing. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

deliason a.k.a. Eli

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The shop manual is a good place to start. I got my 57 without any experience and immediately got a couple of books - the shop manual was one of them. I also got a book called something like the weekender's guide which isn't 57 small block specific but is a good all around mechanic's reference. Whatever books you get, there's nothing like posting a question and working through the problem with all the guys here! I'll try to find the exact names of the books I mentioned above and will post them when I find them!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
This is the name and author of the weekender's guide...

Weekend Mechanic's Handbook: The Complete Guide to Do-It-Yourself Repairs by Paul Weissler

Take a look at Amazon.com for this book -- it's not in print any more so you'll have to order a used one. I keep mine in the garage next to my car! It's getting pretty well used.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It's worth getting if you're a novice like me...it's a real general purpose type guide and is old enough to be applicable to our cars! Good luck. If you can't find it, let me know I'll see if I can locate one for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
books

if you can spend $25.00 go to www.harmons.com and order the shop manual for your car. my 57 manual covers it all,soup to nuts. it's a step by step book and easy to understand.don't worry about the old fashiond tools they show,remember the book was from the 50's, we've come a long way since then, but not much else has changed.all the wiring is in there. any questions, count on the the people here at tri-five,they will help out any way possable.don't be affaid to to ask.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts