Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Not sure why, I suspect that old school was they it was done back in the day.

The early chevies had large wheels 18`s I think they remind me of the jag`s of the 20`s

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Just wondering why some people refer to
small wheels as "old school"?
:) Depends on what you mean by 'small'. Personally, I would not put anything larger than a 15" wheel on these cars unless I was doing a full on canyon carver and had to have 17s to clear 13" or 14" diameter disc brake rotors or some such thing. But that's just my opinion. Its a matter of personal taste and everyone has their own ideas of what they want to do with their car.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

·
Premium Member
13,579 Posts
I'm pretty much always behind the times, and I know this is going to cause an uproar but.....
The first time I heard the term "small wheels" in reference to car wheels was when I heard Chip Foose say it on Overhaulin. He was asking a spouse if her husband liked small or big wheels. I remember sitting there with a quizzical look on my face and WHAT??? on my mind.

To me 15 inch wheels are "regular" or "normal". In younger days 14's and especially 13's were small.

I don't think I'm a big-wheel hater, but I just have to think that anyone with any common sense HAS to feel that there is such a thing as TOO much.

My oldest stepson just HAD to have a set of 20's for his car. They weren't cheap either. He got them set up with new tires and before one month went by he hit a pot hole, wrecked the tire and severely gouged the rim. I held my tongue because when I was a kid my parents felt I did stupid things to my car too, and I didn't want to follow that same pattern. After about a year with several wrecked tires and rims he finally got the message that "this isn't working". His wallet kept him from continuing on with that pattern also. At that point is when I started to chime in on facts like "the tire is a part of your suspension", and "the reason your car rides so rough", and "the reason this keeps happening"... and so on. I tried hard to convince him to get a really nice set of regular size rims, and put some "real" meats on them. That way he would have a nice set of rims and tires to make his car look good, but also so that his car wasn't constantly sitting on the side of the road! He finally got disgusted with the situation, but only after buying more than a few replacement wheels and tires, all 20's of course. Then one morning he went out to go to work and his car was sitting up on firewood blocks...stolen wheels. Car was then sold.

The moral here I guess is that we all have to learn, sometimes the hard way.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Small..or Narrow?? I'm going narrow stock on my old truck...no idea if that is old school...just what the truck came with.

I've never heard anyone say "small wheels are old school" so I must be out of the loop.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think the old Chevys and others had 20 inch because of pot holes, mud and needed ground clearance. As roads improved the wheels got smaller and tires bigger for smother rides. Example, .My wife had a 07 F&%d Edge with 16 inch wheels . It rode great with a tire with some side wall to it. She recently bought a 2012 Edge. It has 20s on it with low sidewall tires. She is ready to trade it because you feel every crack in the road and rides rough ,and up here in Maine we have cracks ,frost heaves and pot holes . The wheels and tires look good BUT don't perform like fatter tires.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small..or Narrow?? I'm going narrow stock on my old truck...no idea if that is old school...just what the truck came with.

I've never heard anyone say "small wheels are old school" so I must be out of the loop.
I haven't either until I read Winch57's thread
"Best application I've seen for 20" wheels" in
reply 21 about an "old school/new school debate".
I was just trying to prove a point on the "old school/
new school" thing with this thread as far as big wheels go.
I personally like 15" wheels the best.To each his own.
I also noticed the thread is closed now.

We better be careful or this one will be next.:sign0020:

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
One way to look at "old school" is what did it come with?

Another way to look at wheel and tire design is what the roads were/are like and what you expect for performance.

At first those big wheels and tires were for ground clearance and bad roads. Wheels and tires steadily got smaller and cars got lower as roads got better.
Then the econoboxes came along and tiny wheels/tires were cheaper. And the drag racers figured out that a medium diameter wheel and a large diameter tire was good for them. Then the sporty car guys figured out that on a good road a small diameter tire and a big wheel gave you traction and response.

All these choices are some kind of compromise. Pick yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts