Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the 4 barrel Carter carburetor on my 283 Powerpack with a brand new one. The car reeked of gasoline. It was horrible. I took it to my mechanic and he found the floats in the secondary were leaking. He replaced the floats and everything improved. The smell of gasoline is much less but still there. The exhaust smells strong, but no smoke and the pipes have a thin black coating. I assume that the car is running rich and should see ash gray. It starts great and is running smooth. My mechanic and I can’t find any leaks to blame the smell on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I replaced the 4 barrel Carter carburetor on my 283 Powerpack with a brand new one. The car reeked of gasoline. It was horrible. I took it to my mechanic and he found the floats in the secondary were leaking. He replaced the floats and everything improved. The smell of gasoline is much less but still there. The exhaust smells strong, but no smoke and the pipes have a thin black coating. I assume that the car is running rich and should see ash gray. It starts great and is running smooth. My mechanic and I can’t find any leaks to blame the smell on. Any thoughts?
Check your fuel pump for leaks. The ethanol in the gasoline destroys the diaphrams in the fuel pumps. I had the same problem as you about a year ago, and sure enough it was leaking gas.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If you can try more initial timing it may correct it if there are no leaks. You will have to redo the curve to avoid too much total timing if it helps the gas smell.

Don

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Check the spark plugs for fouling and black soot.Clean and regap as needed.Then hook up a vacuum gage to manifold vacuum fitting and set mixture screws to the highest reading,reset idle if too low.Hope this helps.:anim_25::bowtier:

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
I have a 6 cylinder that has the same symptoms, nothing wrong, no leaks but the odor of fuel especially after a cruise lingers for a few days.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gasoline smell

I am having the same issue with my 57 BelAir 2 door post. I have changed out carburetors, pulled the fuel tank fill tube and put a new rubber seal on it and new original style gas cap with the back flow valve in the fill tube. Is it possible that what I am smelling is exhaust from my tail pipes recirculating back through the trunk? I have no carpet, door panels or rear deck cover so many holes. The tailpipes extend approximately 1-1 1/2 inches out from my bumper. It really only happens when I get on it and run through a gear or two. 327 camel humps, RPM and edelbrock 625, mechanical pump. The sending unit does not appear to leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts