Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just need some advice on this smoking issue. I'm replacing intake manifold gasket hoping the problem was coolant leak at #1 cylinder. The #1 plug was shiney (see pic), unlike all the other plugs. The old manifold gasket was a completely different material than the new ones. Old gasket was kind of "cardboard" in nature and didn't seem tough enough for the job. The new ones are a lot more "substantial" (see pic). I just want some reassurance that I'm using the correct gasket. I know the problem is with #1, because when manually turning engine ( all the plugs were out), brownish fluid came out of the spark plug hole as I neared #1 at TDC. The fluid was thinner than oil--perhaps burnt coolant? All the other plug holes were dry. If you guys don't mind looking at pics and giving me any advice you can. It's a 265 belair. Don, are you out there--your advice has always been right on. David

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,729 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hate to say it but you might have to replace the head gaskets as that is where the problem may lie.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Hate to say it but you might have to replace the head gaskets as that is where the problem may lie.
That's not a stock manifold?
Don't think just replacing the intake gasket going to solve that issue. I do not see how you be getting water from bad gasket and not have water in oil. Maybe if intake was cracked.
I go with Bobby, I think you need to check head gasket and head while you have it tore down.
:sign0020:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an offenhauser aluminum intake (not my choice). I already replaced the head gaskets-- I guess it's possible it might have shifted upon reassembly. Does the smoke look like coolant or oil?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the smoke is white (and it looks white in the photo), it's coolant. Oil will produce more of a blue smoke.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
1955-56 heads have smaller intake ports than later engines and require a slightly different intake gasket than 1957 and up engines. If you use standard SBC intake gaskets on these early heads you could end up with have a major vacuum leak under the manifold in the lifter valley area.

Check the fit of the new gaskets against the heads before you bolt everything down.

A Fel-Pro MS9200B intake gasket set will fit the 265 heads and intake manifold perfectly.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
It is an offenhauser aluminum intake (not my choice). I already replaced the head gaskets-- I guess it's possible it might have shifted upon reassembly. Does the smoke look like coolant or oil?
It's does look like coolant leak. I just doubt change the intake gaskets will help.
Sound like you have a cracked head.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I used the blue standard FelPro manifold gaskets after doing my heads and they are fine for the 283. If your heads are 265 you have to get the ones Farm Boy showed you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, I should have clarified. Previous owner used a pair of heads from a 1978 305 c.i. car--not sure but I think he was looking for hardened valve seats. In this situation, are the blue gaskets appropriate? I suppose my leak may have been coming from the wrong intake gasket since I used the one that is black and suited for 56 and 57 when I changed it a few months back. Thanks for your help, David

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think they will be fine then. I had to bring the center manifold bolts (1,2,3,4) down snug tight before it compressed those new gaskets enough to be able to get some of the other manifold bolts in line and started.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just around the water passages, it doesn't hurt to put some on the head and the gasket. I did.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to update this issue. I decided to replace the intake gasket and reassemble to see if it corrected the smoking problem. It did not, so I took everything back apart today, and pulled the head driver side. As I suspected, the head gasket was perfect. No other obvious cause for the smoke was apparent. I took the head (valve assembly still intact) to the machine shop today for cleaning and inspection. If no crack is present, they are going to do a valve job. I'm hoping the oil was getting past the valve stem seals and into the combustion chamber this way. Still, the #1 plug was clean and shiney, which I believe would indicate coolant in the combustion chamber. This thing is making me nuts. Any other words of wisdom are appreciated. Could the block be cracked??? David

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You should be able to see a crack in the block deck after you clean I would think. Was there sealant used on the head bolts, they go into the water jackets.

Could it be that plug was not firing? Can't remember if you mentioned if it was running rough or missing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bobby, I don't see a crack on the block deck. I'm wondering if exhaust valves were sticking because it was wet on inside of exhaust manifold at #1 and #3--black and oily. #5 and #7 were dry.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sticking open maybe. better than sticking closed (3 of my intakes) and breaking pushrods in half.

If the head is ok or gets fixed and you put it back together with good copper gasket spray - I like the .015 steel gaskets now that I've used them and teflon sealant or such on the head bolts then the only other thing it might be is sparking.

Is it running rough?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bobby, perhaps I've overlooked the more obvious. I'm wondering if #1 plug was firing. plug wire was kinda loose at the distributor--Im not sure it was a good connection. That might explain the really clean plug, but would that explain the smoke?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another update: Got a call from machine shop today. Valve stem seals are toast, and too much clearance in valve guides. He feels like that might be where the smoking was coming from, but ofcourse, he's not sure. He'll fix it and I'll try again. David

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,777 Posts
Another update: Got a call from machine shop today. Valve stem seals are toast, and too much clearance in valve guides. He feels like that might be where the smoking was coming from, but ofcourse, he's not sure. He'll fix it and I'll try again. David
May as well take the other head to be fixed too, they both get the same amount of wear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts