Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have my front bumper all weled and am pleased with the shape and welds. I V groved and but welded the bumper sections. I then ground down the welds and gave it a light coat of dykem to use as a guide coat. I then sanded it with a belt sander and got it really nice and flat. Now I am wondering what I should do now. Keep belet sanding with finer grits? Then the bumber ends where the radius starts. Can't use a the flat belt sander there. If I use say a 3'' Roloc on the die grinder it won't leave it flat even with the scotch brite type pads. How much prep will a good chrome shop do before it's dipped into copper. Can I request more dips into the copper to used as a filler before the nickel or am I totally off base with this line of thinking. I've never had any chroming done.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I would suggest talking to whoever you plan to use for plating. Tell them what you have and ask what grit final sanding they require. I suspect they will want it to at least 100 grit. They will dip the piece enough times to get the finish smooth. Problem occurrs when they have to do it a dozen times LOL.... You should be able to use a roloc disc or 3M pad and keep it slick. You just have to keep it moving. Stopping will make a flat spot.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
I agree Mike , also I was always under the impression that the chrome shop would finish grinding an shaping before they added any fillers. I guess our thoughts are the better the piece the less it will cost to get done. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok.... I'll work it the best I can. I guess using filler wouold be out of the ques:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts