Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea of what kind of snake this is? Just a garter snake? East TN, It's probably only 10 -12" long.
Funny question to ask on a tri five group, but I know there are some here that know their snakes (and mine). The pattern doesn't look like a copper head to me, but the color has me guessing. I didn't think to look at it's eyes to see if the pupils are slits.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Coloring looks like it could be a copperhead; the head doesn’t look as triangular as I’d have thought

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Looks like a Pigmy rattler to me they are venomous. IIRC they inject venom by chewing similar to a Coral snake.

Found a youtube vid on them.

·
Administrator
63,980 Posts
That's the kind of snake you want to turn and run from. Looks similar to a hognose snake.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I’d say eastern fox snake we have em around here and their a protected species

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's in a plastic bag for now. Tomorrow I'll be able to dump it into a clear plastic bag and look at him eye to eye. Then I'll probably let it go on its merry way. Where I let it go depends on what I think it may be. I just like to know what some of these creatures are.

Years ago, my small dog went after a large copperhead and got bit. The same dog is about 15+ years old now and I don't know if she would survive another encounter like that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That's the kind of snake that would make me turn and run like I'd seen a ghost...I hate snakes.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put it in a clear baggie this cold morning and evidently the sun had been on it for longer than I thought. The little bugger was pissed off and ready for action once he got into the clear bag and thought he was free. I held its head still and his pupils were round not slit's so that means non venomous. Took him out back on a hillside and let him go.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It does have a very similar color and pattern to the pigmy rattler. Did you by chance get a photo of the tail? I would have thought you would have noticed the rattles if so. Possibly a pine snake.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does have a very similar color and pattern to the pigmy rattler. Did you by chance get a photo of the tail? I would have thought you would have noticed the rattles if so. Possibly a pine snake.
No rattle, and like said, it's pupils are round. Oh, and no heat sensing pits either, so it's not venomous. Watching youtube I learned that Copper Head snakes for example, are not poisonous. You can eat them and not be poisoned (but I suppose not the head!) They are "Venomous". I'll probably forget that though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts