Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Not yet, it seems to be playing in limited areas and for only a brief time. I guess I will wait for the DVD. My guess is that it will come out just in time for Santa to bring. Merry Christmas to me!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes I have and liked it a lot. Anybody that is a drag racing fan should like it.

Anybody that is a student of drag racing history will enjoy seeing all the restored/recreated vintage drag cars used in the movie which I think really add to it.

The movie covered a time frame from the late 50s through to 78 when McEwen beat Prudhomme in the FC final at the U.S. Nationals in Indy.

A lot of people aren't aware of the backstory that made that win so special to McEwen. I was there and saw it happen, did not know about McEwen's son dieing of Leukemia shortly beforehand and his wish that his dad go beat the Snake at Indy. That was not mentioned at the time, all I remember was that the crowd went wild and how excited McEwen's crew was as they headed down the return road to get him.

This was a low-budget affair but they pulled it off pretty good by using some old footage of some of the actual races that were part of the story line instead of trying to recreate everything. They also used brief shots of Car Craft and Hotrod magazine covers to illustrate various milestones in their careers during that time.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Man, I really want to see this in a theater. I don't care that much about drag racing these days but when I was a kid I loved the Mongoose and Snake.

http://www.snakeandmongoosemovie.com/

A member of the Dallas Classic Chevys club shot this photo in 1971.

1,032 Posts
I missed my chance her at the local theater. Will have to wait for the DVD and test the sound system on the big screen at the house.
Being a local kid in Bakersfield would get to watch them at the March Meets. Both of the restored haulers and cars been on display at the HotRod Reunion lately. Although I see where they going to the auction block soon

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Nope, I too will wait for the DVD . Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts